Recent Posts

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Which accents defined the Aughts?

While writing my design trends of the Aughts post, I quickly realized that beyond the major trends there were scads of individual decorative accents we embraced. So let's pretend it's 2015, and you're looking around your house. It's time to redecorate. Which item(s) make you roll your eyes and say "Ugh, that's so '00!"?

Weigh in with the poll below - you can vote for more than one! And feel free to add any others in comments.

Domino.

Antlers.

Ghost chair.

Domino.

Zebra rug.

Desire to Inspire.

Bus roll.

Homes & Gardens.

Sunburst mirror.

Subway tile.

Domino.

Chandelier.

Leather club chair.

Market clock.

Fauna.

Desire to Inspire.

Chalkboard paint.

Domino.

Dark walls.

Domino.

Suzani.

Mirrored furniture.

Vessel sink.

Domino.

Sheepskin rug.

Wall stickers.

Mid-century modern furniture.

13 comments:

Karena said...

Raina, I was getting really tired of the sunburst mirrors a year ago, and the mid century I grew up with ....and really don't care for it unless mixed up with antiques.

Leigh Chandler said...

Great question/post! The only items that are truly creepy to me are the antlers. The sheer numbers I have seen in the last year alone make me want to give more to the Save the Wildlife Foundation (even if most of them are fake). I think the wall stickers, chalkboard paint, bus rolls and the kitschy fauna have a limited shelf life, but the rest are classics and done well and in moderation I can handle. Unfortunately, they were all over done this year and it makes me cringe when I see too much of a good thing.

Keri Batchelder Hoffman said...

I've done so many of these in our new house that I cringe at the thought of cringing at them in 2015 :(

Raina Cox said...

Keri - Perhaps some will become the new classics and everyone will say you were ahead of your time. ;)

Kate said...

If you're thinking about them in 15 years time, I reckon you're on the cusp of a 'noughties revival' and ahead of the time!
Mirrored furniture has never done it for me, possibly because I'm too lazy. And the ghost chair I hate just because no one looks elegant sitting in one, just like a beached sea slug.

animal print gal said...

For now, I would use most of them, I can't worry about 2015... I usually do what feels right at the moment. Unfortunately because I am exposed to so much visual stuff and lots of pattern, I can get tired of things easily. I think one thing that can be risky can be the black ornate chandelier in the kitchen...
And I always love the zebra hide accent in a room.

Designers' Brew said...

I voted zebras... and I am going to vote for antlers from my home computer. HA!

David said...

With the exception of a midcentury side table, I don't have any of these accessories, and I'm not sure what that means.

I've had subway tile in two houses and I'm sure I will here. I like it that much.

I'm going to need a sunburst mirror at some point, I like them, I can't help it.

ticklishfromadistance said...

Wall stickers. Egads.

ChrisToronto said...

Add the Moooi Random light to the list (see next post).

nkp said...

I'm not giving up my antlers, but I'm glad I never got behind that market clock...but damn if I still don't want a suzani. Badly.

susieq said...

I still love Suzanis and sunburst mirrors. So there.

erin@designcrisis said...

I'm with Leigh. I am, however, about to set fire to my zebra rug. I hate it that much.