Recent Posts

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Guest room reveal

The Purple Palace is WRAPPED - welcome to our guest room! It was the first room I tackled, painting the walls Benjamin Moore's "Black Raspberry" and the ceiling BM's "Whispering Spring," a pale sky blue. The IKEA bed is dressed with a Garnet Hill chartreuse comforter (no longer available), a duvet from Sferra, John Robshaw euro shams from Pillow Mint, and sheets from Tar-zhay.

The "before" photo. This a basement room with one teeny tiny window. I decided to embrace the lack of natural light and go with a deep wall color.

The 3-drawer dresser is from Dwell Studio's line of nursery furniture for Target. It's actually a changing table, but I left the tray top off. CB2's Phantom lamp tops the chest. The little white bowl holds ear plugs for a peaceful night's sleep.

Two postcards of dreamy Indian locales courtesy of John Robshaw Textiles are framed above (design blogging has its privileges).

The shutters are pieces of "wall decor" from World Market.

They originally had a goofy faux-Tuscan paint job. Quick and dirty DYI - I used half of a Benny Moore sample jar to cover the two pieces in about 15 minutes.

On CB2's Go Cart desk rests a Moorish mirror we found in the garage when we moved in. It had a not-so-fab 1970s fruitwood finish which was quickly remedied by a can of spray paint. The Mombo lamp is from LightsUp! and the chair is IKEA's Solvar.

The white tray from Target corrals a selection of gossip-y reads, a notepad, pens in the pencil cup from my recent Austin trip, a fancy-schmancy tissue box, and a "Winter Forest" candle from L'Occitane. The small white dish is to hold a guest's favorite candy.

Across from the bed sits my newest purchase, two armless chairs picked up at a used furniture store for $50. That would be for the pair. The block table is from a consignment store and started out a dark wine color. LB sanded and painted it a creamy white to match the bed. The pillows are from Urban Outfitters. The framed piece is John Robshaw's 2009 Christmas card.

The beta version of the guest room was test driven by my good friend Debi and my in-laws. 5 gold stars and thumbs up all around. We're conveniently located 30 minutes from Denver International and 40 minutes from the mountains. The reservation book is open!

42 comments:

Camilla @ Designalogue Blog said...

LOVE IT! (yes I mean to shout!) I will be sure to give you plenty of notice for my arrival!

David said...

I think you've singlehandedly changed my mind about purple. The room is really really good!

Amy said...

I love the dark purple, but I especially like the thoughtful touches on the desk. You can tell that you really care about your guests. The only thing missing is an $800 tissue box from Ann Sacks.

susieq said...

Oh my -- it's delish! The purple couldn't be more rich and pleasing. And I love your choice in lamps. But, my favorite pieces are the mirror and those 2 chairs. { This girl does love a bargain, you know. } Raina! Fabulous!

Jenny Butler said...

My word you have amazing taste in paint!! Actually amazing taste all round but goodness the paint! I wish I was so brave.

Teri said...

Stunning! Simply stunning.

My favorite candy changes: but jelly-bellies always work :)

Robin said...

Gorgeous! If I come over I may never leave!

Where did you get the postcards framed? I have a collection of vintage and repro postcards I want to have framed to go above my bed and the cost of matting and framing is ridonkulous. Any tips for we neophytes?

megan said...

just checking in to say the guest room is beautiful and dropping off the link to design sponge's guide to christchurch though you probably already saw it
http://www.designspongeonline.com/2010/01/christchurch-new-zealand.html

Risley said...

love it! looks great!

Anne (in Reno) said...

Epic jealousy over here. EPIC I say.

The dark purple combo with the white and chartreuse is making me drool. And rethink my entire home's decorating scheme.

Karena said...

Beautiful makeover!! I love purple in every shade from a pale violet to the deep eggplant. It is gorgeous Raina!

only a movie said...

Beautiful. I am interested in the framing of postcards too... I suspect it's as easy as getting the mat cut to size, etc.

Jeannine @ Small and Chic said...

Wow! It looks fantastic! What a dramatic change.

lucitebox said...

Great job, lady.

If I ever move or if I paint again, I'm having you over to help me choose the colors. You have exquisite taste.

Each color you choose is so sumptuous and rich looking. I love your dream house.

Sol Kawage said...

wow Raina... wow. I love your attention to every detail. You are my Jedi.

Raina Cox said...

Robin - I bought the frames at Target and had the mats cut at a local framing place. The mats cost nearly double the price of the frames.

Elisa @ whatthevita said...

Go purple! I plan to do my bedroom and bathroom in purple/gray - but I've been looking for the perfect dark purple paint color for our bathroom - I think I've just found it! That purple color is beautiful.. Thanks for sharing.

Pam Kersting said...

Great job Raina! You really pulled it all together beautifully! Any guest would feel like a royal in that room! Very impressive, indeed.

Blue Piranha said...

My God - I'm coming over! I love that room and I do NOT, as a rule, love dark rooms. Sumptuous!

amy @ switz~art said...

Raina...thank you for making my room look fabulous! Baha!

You are incredible!

Melissa said...

Stunning. I love it and has so much charector. Seeing the before and after is great - lucky guests for sure.

sherri said...

damn girl, you are good.

erin@designcrisis said...

It looks supercallafantasic! The chairs were a STEAL and I love all the little touches -- reminds me I really need to zhush (sp?) my rooms more.

Love the dark paint in a low light room. Excellent resolution to a tricky problem.

Well done!

hello gorgeous said...

Looks fabulous!!

You work fast, girl.

karly / design-crisis.com said...

well, that only looks about a million-gazillion times better. Give or take.

Excellent work, Raina! As the fug duchesses would say: Well Played!

Anita Davis said...

Raina, it looks amazing! I love it all. What a find in the garage!
Oh, and thanks for the invitation to come visit. ;)

Designers' Brew said...

gorgeous--I adore it. I want to go to there.

Ally said...

You are so, so good! Embracing the lack of light with a dark color was such a good move and this particular shade of purple is love-ly!!! Your bold paint colors are making me totally jealous.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

It looks so fab and cozy -no detail has been overlooked down to the earplugs! Would love to spend a night here :-)

Waxy said...

I love it!!!! Awesome job!!! Come decorate my house!

drollgirl said...

it is lovely! and i am crazy for the shutters (the after version, that is), plus the lamp, and the mirror! well done!!!

nkp said...

Well hello gorgeous! I think the dark walls in this particular low-light space are a brilliant solution. Don't fight it, make it fabulous. And did you ever make it fabulous!

Cristin said...

Awesome of course.

Those purple walls make me happy.

Naomi said...

damn i continue to be amazed by the power of spray paint. Love the mirror and the shutters. the room looks great!!

Raina Cox said...

Melissa - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness!

Raina Cox said...

Megan - I did see that post about ChCh and left a comment about my experience there. I linked to my tag "Life in New Zealand" and invited the DS readers over for a more realistic view of KiwiLand.

Fun fact: ChCh has the same rate of violent assault as Compton, CA. Whee!

Bromeliad said...

Yeah, I want to visit.

Love the white shutter fix, the blue and purple combo and all the details for guest comfort.

You should have a TV show.

HAMPTON HOSTESS said...

Love your guest room redo. Bold color choice that works beautifully in the room---sounds like you'll have plenty of guests to enjoy the new room. Congratulations! Best Barbara

Raina Cox said...

Hampton Hostess - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness!

Linda in AZ * said...

*Raina~ TOP NOTCH everything! I sooo enjoyed your short but concise explanations of saving $$$ while creating your OWN, SPECIAL welcoming space!!! Way to go, girl!!! (I THINK the proper saying is "YOU ROCK!")~~~~~~

Best,
Linda in AZ *
bellesmom1234@comcast.net

ita darling. said...

Further gushing: Great color palette, flawless execution, pure loveliness.
Thanks for sharing!

Susan
serviceanddevotion.com

Lacey said...

I love the guest room. The rich purple walls make the room feel so sumptuous. Again, love the carved wood shutters. And, love the Sedaris on the nightstand!