Recent Posts

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Our house hates us

Mr. Fix-it and LB, high in the sky.

Dumplings, remember when my patio decided to sink into the damp spring earth? Well, our house wasn't done with us quite yet. Last Sunday, while I was wallpapering I heard a groan from LB. Several small waterfalls had appeared over the sliding door in our kitchen. Turns out our house hates us, even though we're showing it all manner of love and affection.

An emergency call was placed to my father-in-law, Mr. Fix-it. He flew out this past Wednesday and has been hard at work fixing our roof. He and LB discovered a large hole that had been patched over with some paper and a few shingles. To glance at it, everything would appear to be normal. Underneath, it was a nasty rotted leaky mess.

The only good thing to come out of all this, besides getting to spend some quality time with my FIL, is that my next project was to remove the wallpaper in that area of the kitchen. Now, I have a bit of a head start. Besides being a royal pain the ass, all of these unexpected repairs have taken a serious bite out of my patio decorating budget. But I can still dream...

West Elm's 2010 outdoor collection is quite fab, and the Tillary sectional is high on my wish list.

I'd also like to throw in a couple of the Tillary lounge chairs.

I'm diggin' their pillow collection, but after Nelya's bargain ikat pillow post today, I'd probably spend those decorating dineros elsewhere.

And I think these metal hurricanes would cast a lovely light.

Perhaps towards the end of summer, when the stores are looking to dump their seasonal stock, I can snag a deal-io or two.

Speaking of West Elm, I would be remiss if I didn't mention their sweet new capsule collection designed by John Ross and Don Carney, the duo behind Patch NYC.

Ages ago when I owned a women's clothing store, I met John Ross (left) at the Dallas market. He had a small booth with the MOST AMAZING handbags. They were a bit fashion forward for my shop, but I was dying to try a few. I politely asked (yeah, I can be a lady sometimes) if he would allow me to sample a handful of styles to gauge my customers' reactions.

Let me tell you something, Dumplings, John was the singularly nicest person I ever had the pleasure of meeting in all my years of buying. I was heartbroken my customers didn't take to the bags, because I wanted any excuse to call this man up and order dozens more.

This is one of the bags I ordered that day. It was far and away my favorite and never made it to the sales floor.

Tucked inside was a small card with the bag's model number. I have the fifth handbag of the 9 produced.

I hope John's and Don's collection for West Elm sells like gangbusters, because no one deserves it more than these two charming gentlemen.

24 comments:

erica@ moth design+luxe life said...

Your house is a lovely jerk... mine had been much the same. Keep dreaming about the patio. And the handbag is lovely- thanks for sharing! xo e

hello gorgeous said...

Sorry to hear that your house is misbehaving. Sweet story about the handbag.

The Shiny Pebble said...

Bummer about this silly house. Now you know why homes are veritable money pits. And how expensive can patio funiture be right? We finally stretched our budget and bought some this weekend... It was painful!!!
Awesome little story about the bag makers. Don't you love meeting talented people who don't think their shit doesn't stink?! I had a run with one of those this week at my blog.... But now their poof gone. :) Here is hoping your home starts to behave soon.

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

I love the view of the desert out that window.

Kate said...

I think your house loves you and its giving up all its flaws to you with a sigh of relief that for once it's going to be cared for. It trusts you not to paper over its roof.

David said...

Our house has taken a few swings at us as well. Here's hoping both our places have gotten the worst out of their systems.

Pam Kersting said...

Raina, You are so lucky to have a Mr. Fix-It in your family! Lucky for you that you discovered this when you did. Could have been much worse. Good luck with it all. Love the West Elm collection too!

Hollywood forever, Kevin said...

Our house hates us and we feel betrayed! We cry all the time. The nerve, after all we have done. I can sooooooo understand your dismay.

Lolo said...

I love Kate's take on why your house is behaving that way. "At last, people who appreciate me for what I am and will take proper care of me."

At least its your house and not your car. My last two cars have waged wars on me and I'm throwing in the towel and leasing this week. Fuck it, let it be the dealer's job to replace all the gewgaws (that's a word, right?) that act up or fall off.

The Zhush said...

Sucks about the leak, but what an awesome FIL you have! So yay for that! Was just drooling over the EXACT same WE outdoor pillows, and wishing they came in Navy! Know I have heard of Patch, now so curious, (and charmed) about this new collection.

Leigh said...

what a nightmare with the roof! so sorry :(

but what a nice FIL you have :)

LOVE those handbags.

Jamie said...

Sorry your house did that to your house is conspiring against you on how to spend your home improvement funds. Thank goodness for Mr. Fix-it though, I can only imagine how much more it would hurt if you had to hire someone!

Naomi said...

wow i'm inpressed he flew out to help. thats pretty awesome.

and luvin' that sectional! unfortunately it would take up my entire backyard. sigh....

Raina Cox said...

Hollywood forever, Kevin - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness!

Marija said...

Loved this post - the writing, the info, the buying story, your awesome on-call father-in-law, the images. Perfect. Except for the broken roof part, of course :) Marija

nkp said...

What Marija said. You've hit yet another one out of the ballpark. I just wish someone would recognize your talents already and hire you. You are raucously funny, amazingly insightful, and a tastemaker of the highest order. I'm just sorry your house has turned against you. Just think of it as a needy toddler and you'll know exactly what to do. And thank goodness for Mr. Fix-It and sunny weather!

By the way, thanks for the link love, Love!

ticklishfromadistance said...

Your house is clearly having an identity crisis. Do not take it personally. I was in West Elm last week and those pillows are truly yummy in person. I have been pondering....but then I ordered all this shit from the bazaar via Nelya and I have to take a breather. Love the sectional as well.

amy @ switz~art said...

Houses...you gotta love 'em and hate 'em. I notice "patch-up" jobs all the time and it pees me off...I am a huge Mike Holmes fan (do you get to see Mike Holmes stateside? if not, he is the reno/building guru here in Caanuckland) and I like to see things done right. I have even found 5" of quarter round that was not nailed in. Are you serious?! That's nothing, but if that's not nailed in, what large, important things are being covered up?

Our biggest challenge in this house? We live on the outskirts of the Greater Toronto Area. So, this means wildlife feels even more bold to run around and find refuge near or within our home. Do. Not. Like. We're dealing with the ever present coyotes, but last year we had skunks. A big ol' family of skunks and they decided to dig their nest way, way under our huge deck, in the crook of where our house takes an "L" shape. $1400.00 later, plus another $500 for other building materials to make our deck entrance/exit free and we have no more skunks. We had someone trench and put in a one-way door for these stinky morons. Ugh. It was bad...because other animals would go near their next under the deck and stir them up, they'd spray and I'd smell it in the hous for 2 days. Thankfully the smell went away and the company that performed the skunk exorcism deoderize.

That's my novel for today.

And I really hope John kicks ass! I freakin' love those bags!!! You have such an eye. But you knew that didn't you? ;-)

Happy Monday, Raina!

Cristin said...

I hope the house gods are smiling on you soon.

That bag is sweet, and those men are beautiful!

erin@designcrisis said...

Bummer about all the unplanned repairs. Roof problems freak me out -- hope that gets patched over (properly) very soon.

Love John and Don!

nicole said...

That SUCKS!

I really like those west elm hurricanes. I think they would look good inside too.

FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

Sorry about your roof. If it makes you feel any better, our entire backyard is flooded and it turns out there's a boundary issue with one of the neighbors to boot. Boo! Your FIL is awesome.

Details and Design said...

House behaving badly. New reality show. I could join in with my own bad boy bitch of a house. But, I live on the beach so I overlook a few nasty leaks. Last week was the recessed can over my island crying like the devil. Come to find out, hubster had not sealed the deal well in upstairs shower. ah well,price was right on the labor...actually,I think I paid...just not in cash.

on to the purse. yeah, you got any left hidden away? I like it. I want it. do they make them still?

Raina Cox said...

D & D - I have only the one. I just checked Patch NYC's online shop and it doesn't look like they're doing any bags at the moment. Ebay may hold some promise for you.