Recent Posts

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Two lamps and some news

Dumplings, thanks for all of your kind wishes for my speedy recovery from Sinus Ebola. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to find out what this vileness is.

While lying prone on the sofa today trying to convince The Pea she had no business going out to play in the 55 degree sunshine, I indulged in a little online retail therapy. I bought two table lamps for the living room. The top is George Kovacs' rather unsexily-named "2 Light Table Lamp in Satin Steel," below is Artecnica's "Daedalus Lamp." I bet you already know which one LB will like and which will be the cat's favorite.


A happy announcement: If you are in the NYC area on Monday, April 19th and feel like doing something good for the world, I urge you to attend the 8th Annual Benefit Gala for Our Time Theatre Company, a creative outlet for children who stutter. Taro Alexander, the company's director, is the husband of my blog buddy Leigh Pennebaker ("Marvelous Kiddo").

The event honors singing legend Carly Simon and will be hosted by Nurse Jackie herself, Edie Falco. The honorary chairs are Sarah Jessica Parker, Diane Sawyer, and Mike Nichols. And the participating artists list reads like a who's who of stage, screen, and song - Lauren Ambrose, Talia Balsam, Michael Cerveris, Nadia Dajani, Ned Eisenberg, John Forté, Dominic Fumusa, Victor Garber, Lauren Graham, Kathryn Grody, Richard Kind, Ilana Levine, Jesse L. Martin, Anne Meara, John Oliver, Austin Pendleton, Rosie Perez, Billy Porter, Ron Rifkin, Ramon Rodriguez, Daphne Rubin-Vega, Amy Ryan, Jonathan Schwartz, Ed Sherin, John Slattery, Fisher Stevens, Jerry Stiller, Mary Testa, and B.D. Wong.

And a bit heavier news: blog buddy Anita Davis has decided not to re-up her shop's lease. She will be continuing Pillow Mint as an online venture and will offer an in-home shopping service for the lucky people of Charlottesville, Virginia. Anita will bring bedding samples to your home for an unparalleled buying experience. Let's all wish her the best of luck with her new pursuits!

9 comments:

my favorite and my best said...

YOU live well.

Awesome Sara said...

aww glad u didnt die!

sherri said...

I don't know about the kitty, but I know which is my favorite.

David said...

I like both of those lamps, just have a plan for after kitty strips number two down.

And you get better please.

And Anita, I hope the change is good for you and your business!

Anita Davis said...

thank you, raina! xoxoxo

Paul Anater said...

You bought a Daedalus? Ooooh, please review it when it arrives. I think they photograph well but I'm curious to see just what that $89 price tag buys. Thanks for being the guinea pig. And feel better already, OK?

Leigh said...

Ooh, the lamps are gorge!

Thank you thank you thank you for the Gala shout-out! It's going to be a fabulous night :)

Um, woah. Just scrolled down to see that my word verification is "labia"!!!!!!

normajean said...

Ah! As a former resident of C'ville, I know your shop will be greatly missed, Anita! I used to poke around in there occasionally after Pilates and it is beautiful. All you suckers in blog land- you wish you lived in Charlottesville- that place is magic. Mostly.

And my verification word is "pheocks," which, I assume, is what happens when a peacock and a pheasant have little bastard love birds. I shiver to think of the pretty feathers that could be produced from such a fowl union.

erin@designcrisis said...

labia, hahahaa!

Raina, love la lamps (of course).