Recent Posts

Friday, April 30, 2010

Atlanta, day one

Lord Almighty! Day One of the Atlanta Blogger Buddies Tour was INSANE. Nelya and Susie picked me up at a fashionably late 10:30am and we headed to a fab little antique mall called "Kudzu" in Decatur. We met up briefly with Jenny of My Favorite and My Best who was shopping at a nearby farmers' market. She had her five-year-old daughter, Fiona, along who I quickly discovered is The Pea's doppelganger. At least in terms of personality. The drama factor was in the high bajillions.

I wanted this print for my master bedroom so much I could taste it.
FYI - it tasted like blueberry lemonade.

Nelya checked out this vintage poster of the life cycle of flies for her boys.

This confessional was discounted to $1200 and gave off the worst juju imaginable.

Nelya, Susie, and I then headed to the Watershed restaurant for some absolutely rockstar Southern fare. The Heebs had pork sandwiches and Susie had pimento cheese. I'm still fuzzy on what exactly that is.

The restaurant is owned by one of the Indigo Girls and is housed in a converted gas station. It was PHENOMENAL.

We then made our way to Providence in Virginia Highland. I fell head over heels for a $1500 oil painting in the window and thought long and hard as to how I would explain its purchase to LB. In the end, I just wasn't creative enough to justify it. *Major sad face*

A shagreen chest with another oil by the same artist.

The corner of the front window.

Next up was Millwright, a secret treasure trove of wholesale goodies hidden wwaaaay back in a business park. And I mean WAY BACK.

This group of women restores and reproduces vintage pieces and antiques, reselling them to designers and shopkeepers.

We were told that one vendor in the Northeast buys the ladies' lamps for less than $200 each and then lists them on 1st Dibs for well over $1000 a pop! Susie scored one such lamp.

The warehouse was filled with artfully-arranged vignettes.

We met the resident artist, Charles Angle, who paints the most striking nudes.

Formally trained in Philadelphia, Angle sells his paintings to designers who commission his work for celebrities and major sports figures.

We piled in my rental car and were off to yet another antique warehouse (the name escapes me) bursting at the seams with all manner of deliciousness. This pair of lamps was selling for $350.

This Mount Rushmore Mardi Gras headdress from 1976 was priced at $395.
Is that effin' magnificent or what?!?

This chair is, I believe, an homage to Mick Jagger. It wasn't priced.

Winding our way back into town, we passed Kenny Rogers mansion. This is what a few decades of country songs and a fried chicken restaurant chain will buy you.

We ran back to my hotel to freshen up before meeting Jenny for dinner. The alcohol flowed and secrets were spilled. I forgot my camera, so you're just going to have to imagine the craziness. Nelya took one for the team and was our designated driver. Yours truly downed five martinis and was having trouble feeling her teeth. Susie told off-the-wall stories about her Southern Baptist upbringing, and Jenny was just as fantastically hyper-animated as you would think her to be.

Day two begins in a matter of hours...

25 comments:

Tonia {Chic Modern Vintage} said...

Raina! Only you could tell it. Looks like you guys had a really good time. And how convenient you left the camera?

DREAMER'S DEN said...

thanks for the sweet recap of day one. can't wait to hear/see about day two....
hello and love to everyone!!

hello gorgeous said...

FIVE martinis?!?! Holy bejesus. I knew I couldn't keep up with you kids. Sounds like a blast.

Pimento cheese is a southern thing. And, fwiw, you're the only person I could picture wearing a Mount Rushmore Mardi Gras headdress. Well, except for my hair stylist, Terry. He could work it, girl.

Vyala-Arts said...

Sounds as if you had a blast, Raina!
I love to rummage old warehouses - it keeps the inspirational juices flowing...look forward to your next adventures.
Btw - thanks for your hint to other posts about your Pea - what a kid!
Greetings Petra

Emily said...

How much fun!!!!! I think you might like an area called 5 points too. I remember there being a hidden antique shop called "Boomerang" with a bunch of retro stuff. Ask the locals or do your research first. Would love to see a picture of all you girls together!

sarah, flourish design + style said...

green. with. envy -
xx

Marija said...

This sounds like the start to a prefect trip! Cool group of women AND vintage, antique, thrift and Wholesale?! Love it. Eager for day 2! Have fun. Not that I need to tell you that....

Jill said...

I remember being in the first grade...being forced to go to confession...wracking my brain for something worthy to confess...and being scared senseless when the door closed, I knelt on the knee rest, a little light came on and the screen swooshed open with a shadowy man on the other side! I was terrified.

home before dark said...

Pimento cheese: grated cheddar, diced pimentoes, held together with copious amounts of Hellman's mayo. Served on sandwiches but often on celery. In the south, I wouldn't mess with this if I were you. This is part of the sacred ground. Have fun...but I don't need to tell YOU that!

La Dolfina said...

What a blast!!!

Cashon&Co said...

there's so many cool things in these pictures I can hardly stand it!

sherri said...

this sounds like such a blast. and those green lamps were too cool.

david john said...

does that mick jaggger come in a pair?

:)

have a blast honey! we will all live vicariously through you for the time being...

best,
david john

Diana said...

Sounds like soooo much fun. Amazing places. I second Sherri's thoughts on those green lamps.

A Perfect Gray said...

great re-cap...we are sooo jealous...

Sketch42 said...

Jealous... I think we need to get a NYC blogfest going on soon so my teeth can get numb too.

Raina Cox said...

Emily - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness!

Raina Cox said...

Home Before Dark and Diana - Hello to you both and welcome to this deliciousness!

The Shiny Pebble said...

How absolutely fun... I would have loved to have heard the stories and downed the martinis...

Domestic Goddess said...

Raina--First time commenter, been readin for a while courtesy of MFAMB. So jealous I missed y'all this weekend! I'm going to get the REAL dirty tonight at dinner at Jenny's... I LOVE your pics and your stories; thanks for sharing! I live right around the corner from Providence in VaHi; I am Obsessed with that green dress you photographed! Oh, if only my breastessess were smaller... XO Molly

erin@designcrisis said...

HOW did I miss this????????????????

Huge sigh here. Shopping looks amazing, I'm absolutely sure the ladies rocked your socks off, and I'm just goddamn jealous, is what I am.

Raina Cox said...

Domestic Goddess - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness! Any friend of Jenny's is, well, probably my soulmate. So happy to have you here!

M said...

Eating, shopping, horsing around,my kind of trip! Where did ya'll stay? I'm opening a small shop and would love to get contact info for Millwright. Would you mind sharing?Thanks.

Raina Cox said...

M - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness!

I stayed in Buckhead and everyone else lives in the Atlanta area.

I don't have Millwright's contact info, but Susie does. Just hop over to her blog, Eye Spy, for her email info.

Best of luck with your new store!

Tiina said...

oh well, I'm jealous for obvious reasons... I'd could fly Stockholm - Atlanta any time to meet you, Jenny and Ally. You lucky girls, it looks like you had such fab time!