Recent Posts

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Atlanta, day two

Dumplings, Day Two of Atlanta Blogger Buddy Fest about did me in! Susie and Nelya had a FULL DAY planned for us starting with breakfast at the West Egg cafe. We gorged on oatmeal with wild blueberries and buttermilk pancakes with spiced honey butter and then headed over to Westside Urban Market, a fantastic collection of restaurants, boutiques, and interiors shops.

Susie and Nelya were anxious for me to see Star Provisions, an Anthropologie for foodies. Besides world-class baked goods and gourmet treats, this gorgeous shop sells an incredible array of lust-worthy tabletop items and kitchen gadgets.

The visual merchandising is something to behold.

We then trooped across the street to an upscale consignment shop, Savvy Snoot (l-r, Susie of Eye Spy, Gillian of Ticklish from a Distance, and Jenny of My Favorite and My Best).

Bungalow Classic is a local decorating legend. Too spiffy for words!

We hopped in Nelya's tank and headed over to Stanton Home Furnishings, an old warehouse full of French-y, Belgian, and contemporary deliciousness.

It was then time for lunch.

Jenny was highly bothered by this sign next to the restaurant's parking lot and indicated her displeasure.

We ate at Flip Burger, owned by Top Chef Season 4 contestant Richard Blais. This was not to be the day's only encounter with a Top Chef alumnus. (The hottie in the middle is Nelya of Head Over Heels.)

The out-of-this-world burgers were accompanied by killer milkshakes, including the Nutella & Burnt Marshmallow and the Turtle.

After lunch, we visited the Atlanta Symphony Decorators' Show House & Gardens. Photography was not allowed, but you know I wasn't going to let that silly little request stand in my way. The Blogger Buddies' favorite space by far was this screened-in porch by Turner Davis Interiors. I wish I could have snapped more of the room, but a docent was lurking nearby.

Ours was the last group through today, so by the time we got to the loggia and gardens the tour guides had abandoned us. I was able to get several shots of the grounds, including this patio furniture with concrete "cushions." ACK! Awesomesauce to nth degree.

Jenny, Susie, and Ally of From the Right Bank pose in front of the greenhouse.

The grounds covered four acres including a small lake...

...populated by the Weeping Angels from Dr. Who.

After we wrapped up the Show House, we decided to get our shoppin' on and drove over to the H&M at Atlantic Station. Being self-sacrificing devoted mommies, we all ended up buying clothes for our children and nothing for ourselves. Pinkie swear.

Remember when I said our Top Chef experience was not over for the day? Well, Dumplings, the highlight of my trip (besides having the privilege of meeting several of the world's most brilliant design bloggers) was eating at the renowned Woodfire Grill.

Co-owned by Top Chef Season 6 shoulda-been-the-winner Kevin Gillespie, the Woodfire Grill prides itself on its creative organic fare. Our table enjoyed the blind tasting menu which was not to be believed. Course after course of the freshest, most delicious, most beautifully-presented food you can imagine, including lamb raised in the Shenandoah Valley and driven from Virginia to the restaurant by the farmer. It was one of the best meals of my life.

Chef Gillespie gave us each autographed copies of the night's menu.

Tomorrow, I return to Denver. I'm heartbroken to leave my new friends, but I miss my LB and desperately need to squeeze The Pea. I have a bit of time before I have to be at the airport, so we'll see what sort of trouble I can get into...

23 comments:

david john said...

what a fantastic trip! thanks for sharing...

nkp said...

Damn, we had fun! And you have the pictures to prove it. I felt like a tourist in my own town. I'm ready to do it all again! Are you sure you haaaaave to go home? Huh, huh?!? This was only the tip of the iceberg!

We'll miss you! Safest travels and big hugs for LB and The Pea. We are so honored they shared you with us.

xx-nelya

A Perfect Gray said...

I am dying here...too much fun...wonderful piece on your adventure....

Karena said...

You all look like you had a blast!! Great fun and adventures!!

Karena
Art by Karena

ModernSauce said...

Thanks for sharing! Some of your adventures were new places to me so next time I'm in the ATL I will definitely check them out! Also so jealous that you got to meet Kevin... ; )

Michelle said...

Dude! What a day, yous guys had an action packed day. Can I just say I am so excited you saw the weeping angels, that is the first thing I saw (on account of having seen that episode last night!!! creepy)

The Shiny Pebble said...

My eyes teared up a little at the sight of the milkshakes...

Domestic Goddess said...

OH!!! SO jealz about your chef meetings; and LOVING Jenny by the No Dumping sign... I about sprayed latte out my nose when I saw that one. You = awesomeness.

The Zhush said...

Trying to be a big girl and say something nice, but truly...the jealous rage will not allow it! I thought I was better than that, but apparently this post put me over the edge of envy!!! Just threw some laundry at my computer...

sherri said...

how cool you ate at Flip Burger. Was he as nice as he seemed on the show? you guys looked like you had a fabulous time. ahhh so jealous!

Sol Kawage said...

Raina you look gorgeous.

I'm so envious. I'll start applying for my US visa so when my monkeys grow I can leave them with daddy and come to see these delicious shops for myself. !!!

Jodi said...

Your Atlanta posts were fantastic!
Your hostesses have mighty fine taste.

Loved your photos and ate (vicariously)at all the wonderful restaurants you visited.

Were to next?

erin@designcrisis said...

I'm savoring every word of your recaps...

Especially the Kevin Gillespie part. I lurve him and would give one of my lesser used fingers to eat at his restaurant.

And you're all so cute and sassy! Love the pics!!!

Raina Cox said...

Sherri - Richard Blais was a doll! Absolutely approachable and so charming. And cute!

Jodi - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness! I have no idea where the Blogger Buddy World Tour will take me next. But I will keep you all updated.

Tonia {Chic Modern Vintage} said...

You guys look like you're having a blast! I wish I could have been there! with you.

Naomi said...

damn you packed a lot in! Now I'm dying to go to Atlanta. So much good shopping and eating!!!

karly / design-crisis.com said...

I actually got your Dr. Who reference. Thank you lame husband of mine.

You girls look like you had such a fantastic time!!!! I second erin on the food part!! I also love that I finally get to see pictures of some of my fave bloggers

Yay travelparty!

ticklishfromadistance said...

Much sadness and gladness, too. Miss u already.

Design Darling said...

it looks like you ladies had a marvelous time. and a signed menu too? loved reading about your rendez-vous!

Tammy@InStitches said...

I'm so glad somebody remembered their camera ! That looks like an amazing weekend. Stopping by from MFAMB....

Raina Cox said...

Tammy - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness!

ModFruGal said...

I'm so loving your blogger buddies tour..how fun to hang with all those faboo hotlanta women...and gurl...you said you were tall..statuesque baby!

Rebecca said...

Thanks for pointing me to this. Those milkshakes look TDF!!!