Recent Posts

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Expanding the definition of "designer"

It seems no one is happy with their jobs these days. Fashion designers want to be decorators, and interior design icons are dabbling in the schmatta business. Is it creative restlessness or recession-busting brand expansion? Is design talent fluid and all-encompassing, or should creative types stick to what they know best?

Wednesday evening, Jacqueline Susann-channeler Jonathan Adler debuted his collaboration with 7 For All Mankind (remember when they were cool, like, ten years ago?). I would have thought Lilly Pulitzer to be a better match.

Adler's signature Palm Beach aesthetic has been translated into tops, pants, and denim. Cute capris - they match the wallpaper.

On the flip side, several fashion folk have decided to throw their hats into the home design ring.

This holiday season, multi-hyphenate Beyonce and her mother, Tina Knowles, will be expanding their House of Dereon clothing brand to include a line of bedding. WWD says to "expect a fusion of bold colors and delicate details, with design flourishes such as sequins, studs, rivets and even mirrors in the collections." Oh boy. My Hanukkah gift-giving just got that much easier.

The Olsen twins "design" two upscale clothing lines - The Row and Elizabeth & James - as well as a junior collection for JC Penney's. They recently announced a desire to expand their brand into the home furnishings arena. I'm imagining wee spindly pieces with ill-fitting slipcovers.

And design wunderkind Zac Posen was rumored to be introducing a furniture line at the end of the year. But recent inquiries into the collection have been met with silence. Perhaps after his disastrous decorating debut, he's rethinking a foray into interior design.

Update: I forgot to thank TartanScot for sending me over to the Zac Posen interview!

19 comments:

DREAMER'S DEN said...

jonathan should most definitely stick to pottery, etc.
and who the hell wants sequins and mirrors on their bedding? (mirrors belong on the ceiling, no?) ;)

my favorite and my best said...

i am not a huge fan of jonathan adler's interior design aesthetic and those clothes make me want to throw punches.

if beyonce's bedding is anything like her clothing line we can expect over the top and garish.

the olsen's have great style even if a little sloppy and i think that could translate into a great room.

to me they would be the one's to watch out for.

only a movie said...

"I'm imagining wee spindly pieces with ill-fitting slipcovers."

hee hee

The Shiny Pebble said...

I wonder how much of these "lines" are actually designed by these people? Or do they just "contribute" to someone else's creations? We all know that "celebrities" don't actually write their books, they just slap their names on it...

Tracy said...

Looks like the Olsen twins have already started:
http://www.storeapps.net/search/rosenberry/?keyword=mary+kate&x=0&y=0

Also loving the 'spindly pieces with ill-fitting slipcovers' line!!

Raina Cox said...

Tracy - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness! Thanks so much for that link - great find!

nkp said...

"schmatta business," hahaha! Oh how my grandmother would have loved you. You can imagine how often I heard that word during my teenage years.

I don't know about all of this dabbling in multiple business ventures, but Adler's jeans are head and shoulder's above Posen's interior design foray. And now, after reading that asinine interview, I feel my breakfast coming back up.

Sketch42 said...

hmmm.... I think Adlers clothing line is too literally a translation of his furnishings... but somehow it doesnt translate... Quirky cute furniture and accessories did not become quirky cute clothing.

Beyonce's bedding is going to suck.

Olsen's high end clothing lines are actually nice, so lets see.

I think Kelly Wearstler who I heard might branch out, would be an AMAZING jewelry designer, and maybe a good fashion designer. MAYBE.

The Zhush said...

Sketch 42 is so on the money here! (you too Raina!!! :) )
Actually read about Jonathan Adler's foray into becoming a garmento...and also thought, aren't those jeans so OVER? Had not seen any photos, and as much as I LOVE all things Jonathan Adler, after seeing the images here, I will not be sporting those clothes! Horsey lamps yes, horsey set clothes...no!

Petra Voegtle said...

Raina - let's talk tacheles: people pay for the name on it no matter what's behind it and whether the seams are straight...

Raina Cox said...

Petra Voegtle - True, but that would be an awfully short post. ;)

lucitebox said...

I haven't read ITLSF for over a week because I had a bike crash, but I wanted to thank you for using schmatte!

To my delight I was able to use it on my website recently even though I sometimes think is means that the dress is ugly or tacky. (I suppose with most spoken word, it's all about inflection and tone.)

Catching up on you today, I realize that you are fast becoming one of my all time favorite interior design blogs. Don't stop doing this, okay?

Holly

Raina Cox said...

Lucitebox - I'm so sorry to hear that you were injured, Holly! Hopefully, you're on the mend now and able to indulge in as much interwebs as you wish.

Thanks so much for your fab comment! I'll keep writing if you keep reading.

Real Estate Resuscitation said...

Now I wonder when Jessica Simpson is going to start "designing" housewares. Can you even imagine?

Cashon&Co said...

This was such a fun post to read as well as the comments. Yes that Posen situation definitely gave me pause.
Wuh-wah.....

priscilla said...

That picture manages to make the beautiful Beyonce look waxen.

erin@designcrisis said...

I really like the Olsen's clothing line. The rest of these dilettantes can suck it.

redbrickbuilding said...

"wee spindly pieces with ill-fitting slipcovers" - too funny!

Raina Cox said...

redbrickbuilding - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness!