Recent Posts

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Funky cold medina

My trip to Atlanta over the weekend got me hankerin' for some warm weather. Which led to obsessing (again) about my patio.

The concrete work is wrapped up and I'm just itchin' to get things started.

A reminder of the dis-AstroTurf.

I was deeply and viscerally inspired by Rita Konig's recent work on former Domino EIC Deborah Needleman's screened-in porch.

*snort*

I'll ask the question again - why does anyone hire Ms. Konig? Girlfriend can't decorate her way out of a paper bag.

Anywho - back to me. I hit up West Elm yesterday to check out their patio furniture selection in person. They are discounting all outdoor furnishings 15% through mid-May which made everything look extra delicious. Except for the Tillary sectional. Not even a tasty price drop can make this poorly-made piece of furniture enticing. The backs are not attached but merely weighted, so you would have to warn your guests not to relax too much lest they and their margaritas take a tumble backwards. Oh, and you have to buy the cushion covers separately. What the hell, West Elm?

I did find this delightful little charmer there. It's not outdoor-rated, but that's not a problem given my patio is covered and Colorado has zero humidity. I'm thinking four around some yet-to-be-determined dining table.

So I'm back to square one looking for an outdoor sectional. I hate the ones that look like giant blocks of fake wicker. They're everywhere and they're loathsome. I want something low and louche and looking straight out of the medina.

I'm dreaming of a space like this...

...or this...

...or this...

...or this. Because Moroccan = YUM!

Maybe I should just start with some poufs and low tables and let the decorating Fates steer the rest of the process.

20 comments:

A Perfect Gray said...

I do like those chairs....but I'm looking at the backs and they are kinda low. Ima Sloucher, here, so I'd have to think twice about a chair that I couldn't get all down in and plop my head back. just a thought.

I gotta say what fun I had seeing all the pics of you gals at the meet up. so cool to put a face with the blogs.

still jealous but feeling a little better today...

Tonia {Chic Modern Vintage} said...

Yes, let the decorating fate do it's thing ...if it's going to be anything like your livingroom....I can't wait to see what you do.

sanctuaryhome said...

I sat in the chair at West Elm last week and thought it was too deep (which is easily cured with a toss pillow). Let fate take care of the patio. It is an awesome space and I am sure it will turn out awesome!

Mrs Woog said...

She said Hi My name is Sheena

I hate those fake building block plastic wicker sectional lounges with an unnerving passion. They are for bogan's BBQ Cabanas.

erica@ moth design+luxe life said...

I can't wait to get outdoors and whoop it up either, but we have snow... ya SNOW! Seriously Calgary?? Anyways, on a happier note, Moth is having a first giveaway. So stop by and leave a comment lovely. xo

http://moth-design.blogspot.com/2010/05/moths-first-giveaway.html

Raina Cox said...

Mrs. Woog - HAHAHAHAHA! I haven't heard "bogan" is ages.

FYI, Dumplings, "bogan" is Aussie and Kiwi for "trash" or "redneck."

david john said...

Perhaps these tiles might inspire you Raina?

http://www.granadatiles.com/index.php?p=echo.php

Kinda loving them....

Raina Cox said...

David John - ACK! Stop it. I so want to use something like that in our kitchen, but a kitchen remodel is 2-3 years off.

Now I have the sadz...

Kidding.

Smooches!

Adrienne S. said...

Moroccan is very yum... especially that last pic.

Cristin said...

Moroccan = wicked yummy.

Our patio = wicked crappy.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

susieq said...

I love the 2 armless sofas in the next-to-last photo. And each and every idea in your head!

sherri said...

moroccan is yummy times infinity.
"couldn't decorate her way out of a paper bag" (bahahahahahaaa)

Robin said...

I don't understand why people drink the Konig Kool-Aid either. I think she had one good room on one of the first covers of Domino and that's about it.

Your Kool-Aid, however -- I'm bringing over a pitcher.

nkp said...

Are you trying to kill me with that first room. Huh, huh? Seriously? Really? The tiles alone are enough to do me in. Combined with the rest of the surroundings- shit, I'm a goner.

More Kool -Aid please. Of the mamacox variety.

Naomi said...

Did you see these hanging chairs from Anthro? They reminded me a little of the hanging ones you discussed earlier. Only more colorful

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?subCategoryId=HOME-OUTDOOR-FURNITURE&id=960073&catId=HOME-FURNITURE&pushId=HOME-FURNITURE&popId=HOME&sortProperties=&navCount=145&navAction=top&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=049&colorName=BLUE%20MOTIF&isSubcategory=true&isProduct=true&isBigImage=&templateType=

my favorite and my best said...

i was a little less than inspired by ritas needleman porch myself and i love her...
i am way into moroccan bc of you..
thanks.
and i cannot wait for your patio to be finished..it is going to be heaven and then you must have a party and invite me.

karly / design-crisis.com said...

I've just reached the decorating stage of my back porch remodel as well, unfortunately, I'm not lucy enough to have a weather-proof cover over my deck to keep all my precious goodies safe.

Also, I second your anti-basketweave sectional

Also also, keep me posted on what outdoor goodies you find, I'm at a loss.

Bromeliad said...

Maybe Room and Board for outdoor sectionals? The Laguna looks comfy.(Maybe too modern for the Marrakesh.)

The mad woman behind the blog said...

OMG, I am so jealous of your opportunity. Those posts are just begging for some sheer drapes! Man would I be in heaven for some Moroccan lounginess in my backyard!
(and yes, I'll be copywrighting that word!)

Raina Cox said...

Naomi - That is a FAB chair. If those were the colors I was using on the patio, I'd be all over like a tick on a hound dog (can you tell I've been to the South lately?).

Bromeliad - The Laguna is gorgeous but a bit contemporary for the space.

The mad woman behind the blog - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness!