Recent Posts

Saturday, May 22, 2010

When I come for a visit

A few days ago, I spied this living room over at Desire to Inspire and thought "Wow, what amazing pieces but what an effed-up room arrangement." Now some of you are going to say,"Raina, do you have to snark on EVERYTHING?"

Well, I don't see it as snark so much as sharing with you how my brain works. When I visit someone's home for the first time, I immediately rearrange it in my mind. It's not a judgment, it's just as natural to me as breathing.

So let's say I was invited over to this apartment in San Francisco because of my sparkling personality and snappy wit. After exclaiming my green-eyed envious admiration of their pieces, I would sit my bum down on one of those comfy Togos and momentarily disappear into my own little mental design studio.

The Togos would be bumped back together to create a sectional. The 3-seater would stay where it is, the corner piece would move over to the where the dog is sacked out (how cute is he?), and the 2-seater would come to rest where the zebra chair is. The Roost Pasha coffee table would be pushed to the center of that delicious Beni Ouarain rug.

The zebra barrel back chair would magically disappear because even the homeowner thought it best to change it out for this photo. The leggy white cutie of a chair would sit under the print where the 2-seater used to rest. A few of the two dozen throws would vanish as would the scary rearing horsey beast by the cabinet. Add a couple of accent tables and then a few hot pink and burnt orange throw pillows to brighten up the neutral palette.

And - POOF - a moment later, I would snap back and join the conversation. Funny enough when I was in Atlanta a few weeks ago, Susie of Eye Spy caught me doing it twice. Each time, she woke me from my design revery asking if I was okay. She said,"You looked so serious." I was, Susie, oh I was! Decorating is serious business.

33 comments:

sarah, flourish design + style said...

I think I want to send you pictures just to see what you would do with my house.. love how you think and you're SO right. xx

Lacey from Weekends at Home said...

Please consider yourself formally invited to my house so that I can benefit from your day-dream rearrange. kthxbai

Kate said...

ooh, I third that request! I may just email some pics for you to ponder... or not. Seems like a really fun parlor game don't you think?
kate

Raina Cox said...

Sarah, Lacey, and Kate - Ladies, I think you've struck upon a great giveaway idea.

If any Dumpling would like me to do a daydream rearrange of a room in her or his house, leave a comment here and I will randomly choose a winner.

All three of you already have your names in the virtual pot unless you indicate otherwise.

brismod said...

All your ideas were spot on - it is a terrific room with wonderful furniture. Those small tweaks would make it fabulous.

Hollywood forever, Kevin said...

I so relate to serious daydreaming! This is serious problem where ever I go. You are not alone.

Karena said...

Raina you are so good at this,with an innate sense of how the design should work!!

Karena
Art by Karena

Tonia of Chic Modern Vintage said...

Raina, I got one question. Why are you not writing for a decor magazine? Your own show? {and me asd your assistant} Now, put my name in the virtual pot.

The Down East Dilettante said...

Many is the time I've gone to visit friends, and finally when I can't stand it anymore, I move a couple of things---sometimes surreptitiously, sometimes with a "how about we try this".....oh yes. A friend who often loaned me her apartment in New York said that whenever she returned after I'd been using it, she always, always turned on the lights before setting everything down, in case I'd moved the tables...

Edit, edit, edit, I always say...,

griffo68 said...

I do exactly the same thing Raina and have done since about the age of 10! The trick is to keep the look of distain well and truely hidden.

Shelley Trbuhovich said...

absolutely brilliant post, raina.

ticklishfromadistance said...

Great post. She is telling the truth. She gets very serious and in a zone when she gets in a home store. She is not with us. But in a beter place.

Adrienne S. said...

I love the rug in that space. Now that should remain the anchor no matter the rearrangement or additions.

Elisa @ whatthevita said...

I have two rooms that are not finished but I am struggling with how to arrange the furniture that I do have - I need your help! :)

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

yep, yep and yep. loving your plans. that would be way better!jx

Jill said...

Woman, You nail snark better than any blogger out there!

Cashon&Co said...

i like how your brain works.
i also love the alcove in this space with the pendant light over it. both good things!

DREAMER'S DEN said...

believe it or not, i want you to work your magic on my *bedroom*.
god, i hope i win this giveaway.

my favorite and my best said...

please raina add me to the pot. i am quite certain i have done the best that i could bc my rooms are hella small. but that would be the ultimate challenge for you.
btw
i thought the same thing about that room. gorgeous offerings, retarded set up.

Jenny Butler said...

Raina- I need help finding the perfect paint colour/wallpaper to compliment a golden brown velour chesterfield lounge suite! Am completely miffed...

The Zhush said...

You are so right on the money about this space! Vast improvement...wonder if the homeowner's ears are burning?

Raina Cox said...

Hollywood forever, Kevin and Jenny Butler - Hello to you both and welcome to this deliciousness!

Naomi@ThirteenandSouth said...

Lady Raina, That was just so enjoyable to read! Design Poetry for sure. Thank you for inviting me into your magical decorating mind. Delicious indeed.

susieq said...

I must win this contest. I soooo badly need your discerning eye. Even if I don't win, I'm hiring you for your arranging expertise!

nkp said...

Exactly.

Lisa said...

I just KNOW there is a better way to arrange my living room. I simply cannot figure it out. Too few walls are giving me a headache. I would love to get your thoughts... Thanks!!!!

Loveyourblog Linda said...

Found you via MFAMB. Beautiful design sense! parkeredd@hotmail.com

Jessie said...

Help please!

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

Hi, first visit to your blog. I totally makeover people's houses in my mind when I visit. I would love to redecorate my best friend's house. Her furniture arrangement makes me crazy. Everything is clinging to the wall like a nerdy boy at the junior high dance.

Kdnana said...

I NEED YOUR LOVING... Like the SUNSHINE. I need a room makeover. PLEASE HELP.

propriatress said...

I make over everything I see, even things I love just as they are, in my head. ha!
In my current living room, I rearranged the furniture on paper a billion times. There is only one good way to cram it all in, without looking like a crazy thrift store...So, go work on other people. I'm pretty happy right now!!!
;-)

Ashli said...

I would love to win this giveaway. I'm a new homeowner and an interior design novice!

Emy said...

Oh I would love to win your advice! I have a room that always leaves me so stumped!