Recent Posts

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A party not to be missed

Dumplings, a couple of months ago I had the distinct pleasure of kicking off The Shiny Pebble Designer Challenge. Catherine Hopkins invited me and 7 other bloggers to re-imagine her dining room. The inspiration for my design was the colonial architecture of French Indonesia, modern day Vietnam and Laos.

Catherine's dining room.

Starting with Osborne & Little's Derwent wallpaper and its fanciful ornamental carp, I imagined a sleek dining room table from Restoration Hardware (since sold out) resting atop a dazzling area rug from Fort Street Studio. Six colonial-inspired chairs would surround. Oly's Serena chandelier would recall the little bubbles the koi make.

Along the East Wall, I would place a dark wood buffet from Jayson Home & Garden flanked by two chairs upholstered in a charcoal-colored denim for additional seating. As a play on the koi in the wallpaper, I chose the Oyster Stick mirror from Wisteria. Two brass sconces from Global Views flank the mirror.

For additional storage, I selected a mango wood chest with iron detailing. Above the chest would hang an example of fine art photography featuring Vietnamese colonial architecture. A boldly-scaled floor lamp from Horchow (since sold out) would provide additional light, whilst the other corner would be softened by a large fiddle leaf fig.

Last week, Catherine invited the eight Challenge bloggers to a virtual wrap party for her dining room makeover series. She asked us to dream up what we would wear and include our favorite cocktails, music, and recipes.

For my party outfit, I chose my favorite vintage caftan. It features an exaggerated water pattern reminiscent of ancient Asian art and would look smashing next to the koi wallpaper. To show Catherine my appreciation for putting this project together, I would bring as a gift this Halston caftan (price is no object at this shindig). We could be twinsies!

Net-a-Porter via Stella's Roar.

I would be imbibing strong Grey Goose and tonics, because when it comes to my cocktails I don't mess around (my Atlanta girls can attest). I hope Catherine would be playing some Jerzee Monet and Cassandra Wilson. And if the caterer has whipped up some macarons, I would be in heaven.

I invite you to stop by the party over at The Shiny Pebble to see what the other guests are up to...

32 comments:

Leigh said...

you rock so seriously hard, woman. love this vision!

sherri said...

i always picture you typing away in a caftan. loved what you did with her room, off to see more of the wrap party.

The Shiny Pebble said...

Oh Raina, you shouldn't have... My caftan is GORGEOUS. And if I haven't said it enough. Thank you so much for launching the designer challenge. YOU are awesome! Your design was so gorgeous, my heart skipped a beat. Even Steve was in awe of the attention you paid to the details of the design. I bet ya all of these items are sold out b/c everyone in blogland was buying it after seeing your design. Thanks again, Godess of Cool!
Catherine
The Shiny Pebble

Marija said...

Incredible caftan. You will look as good as your room! I forgot how terrific it was until I saw it again here. As one of my fave bloggers would say ... delicious.

I'm working on my outfit now. See you at the party...

xo Marija

Pemberley said...

Love the caftan! I loved your look for the design challenge - one of my favs!!

The Zhush said...

The design, the caftans, the booze...girl, I want to party with you for realz.

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

Loved, loved your design and now your vintage caftan. Glad you like the macarons, because I have some of those and more waiting in your honor at my Virtual Soiree. You have to visit. Your one of the Guests of Honor. Mona Providence Ltd.

SPLENDEROSA said...

Hi darling, so good to see you again...& I love what you're wearing + I really love Grey Goose! I knew we were alike a long time ago. Come see what C's wearing over at my place. sending xx's

Karena said...

raina your design was too too fab. I love the launch party!

Karena
Art by Karena

Concrete Jungle said...

It's all pretty perfect! The thoughtful designer....

Tammy@InStitches said...

Love it........ I want to wear caftans and drink GG with ya'll !

OneCraftyFox said...

I love the look you selected for the virtual makeover. So glad to see you at the party! You looked gorgeous!

Did you see what I was wearing? :)

susieq said...

Your design for Shiny Pebble's dining room is one of my favorite all time interiors!! I've saved it for my own inspiration. Love it! The caftan should be a "Can This Outfit Be A Room?" And, yes, it should!

Appletree said...

Fab.u.lous.

Herself said...

Great to meet you over at Catherine's! Fun, huh? You did a great job on the dining room!

Raina Cox said...

Mona Thompson, Concrete Jungle, OneCraftyFox, and Herself - Hello to each of you and welcome to this deliciousness!

erin@designcrisis said...

Good lord, I want your caftan!

Persis Shah said...

that kaftan is gorgeous!

just stumbled upon your blog and i have to say i LOVE it. do come drop by mine too and maybe we can follow each other. =)

have a lovely day!

Persis
http://onestylemile.blogspot.com

cynthia - thedailybasics.com said...

OH MY - congrats on a job so well done. This has been one fine time!!! Great getting to know your blog and your work!

Best,
Cynthia

MyLittleHappyPlace said...

Love what you put together, and the kaftans - I DIE!

my favorite and my best said...

can i pleeeeease be your plus 1??

Raina Cox said...

Persis Shah and Cynthia - Hello to both of you and welcome to this deliciousness!

MFAMB - You're always my Plus One, Jenny Darlin'.

joanny said...

A beautiful design -- it has all the right ingredients... Harmony in a room occurs when all parts of the ­arrangement — from furniture to accessories to wall color — combine to create a pleasing whole. A perfect blending of color, texture, and shape.

Came over from Catherine's blog party, I welcome you to visit my blog.

Joanny

Mary Ann said...

hi raina, love your design at the Shiny pebble. you have a great blog. glad to be a follower. have a fab day! verbena cottage

Raina Cox said...

Joanny and Mary Ann - Hello to you both and welcome to this deliciousness!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Grey Goose and Macaroons... now there's a combination! I know the ablsolutely best macaroons in the world! You can get them on line. The company is called Mamalah's. They also make the best almond cookies too!
Love the caftan. So artistic!
Yvonne

Charlotta Ward said...

LOVE the outfits! Which ever you are not wearing I will!
I'll see you there for Singapore Slings and peanuts, and lots of Colonial fun!

x Charlotta

Jill said...

I adore the caftan...abhor the price!

Raina Cox said...

Yvonne - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness! And thanks for the tip.

Andrea said...

Wow, what a vision. I love your inspiration. I love when there is a story behind the design, it makes it that much mire interesting. I am now following your lovely blog!

Raina Cox said...

Andrea - Thanks so much for your lovely comment and welcome to this deliciousness!

Mackenzie {Design Darling} said...

oh, yes, see you there. the halston caftan is to die for but i'll need to start preparing my outfit weeks in advance if i'm to look even half as fabulous as the hostess. do stop by my garden party as well — caftans of all kinds welcome!