Recent Posts

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Dead twice over

I was having one of those days that had started out fairly well and then, magically, became 1000% better. Why? A book I'd been lusting after for months was marked down from $165 to $29.95 - "1000 Degrees: Deyrolle" from Assouline. HUZZAH!

Since 1831, the mythical Parisian store Deyrolle has offered nature enthusiasts an extensive collection of insects and shells and a wide range of taxidermy animals, natural curiosities, and educational materials for teaching the natural sciences.

But on February 1, 2008, a fire in Deyrolle’s devastated the cabinet of curiosities, entomology room, and a large part of the historic collections that included animals. Laurent Bochet and his camera were there, and he took pictures of the animals, as well as of Deyrolle’s neighbors, firefighters on the scene, artist friends, and loyal customers, all of whom were marked by the event.

Why would I want a coffee table book about crispy taxidermied critters?

Because it's fascinating and I'm weird.

18 comments:

court. said...

this is really cool; guess i'm joining you in the ranks of weirdos.

Raina Cox said...

court. - You'll love the monthly meetings! We do an amazing buffet. ;)

Tonia @Chic Modern Vintage said...

I love the butterflies, for sure a book to spark conversation.

Robin said...

Plus, what a bargain!

tulpen said...

Sounds creeptastic. I'm sure I'd love it too.

only a movie said...

ya know? sorta fascinating... cool find.

Rianna Bethany said...

Ha ha! That last line made me chuckle, I'm weird too!
Rianna xxx

nkp said...

I've been a weirdo all my life. I have always been fascinated with these slightly macabre curiosities. I remember hearing of this fire and about the photos, but have never seen the images. Absolutely entrancing. Do they have another copy for the price??? Would make my day!

Raina Cox said...

Rianna - For some reason, the general population is dyslexic when it comes to the pronunciation of my name. More often than not, it's pronounced like yours. Welcome!

nkp - Sorry, Babe. It was the last one at the Cherry Creek Anthro. The dust jacket is missing which is part of the reason it was marked down. I'm sure the subject matter wasn't too popular either.

Visual Vamp said...

Score!!!
It pays to be fascinating and weird :-)
xo xo

nkp said...

No worries, love. Anthro-good to know. I'm on the hunt.

Charlotta Ward said...

Weird is the new black! And black has not looked so good as in the last pic for a long time. The morbidity aside, I love the textured look of that charred wall and the little arrangement in front is heaven to. Am mad about fish. Dead, alive, reproed in art or de-fleshed propped up in a still-life like so!

Have a gorgeous weekend.

x C

my favorite and my best said...

count me in.

susieq said...

Count me in too. I adore weird.

Sharon @ Real Estate Resuscitation said...

I remember thinking I was the weirdo for being so interested in an article written about Deyrolle in Vanity Fair magazine some time ago. Glad to know I'm not alone.

Paul Anater said...

I'm a freak too. A freak consumed with envy over your find. What a find!

Hollywood forever, Kevin said...

Thank you so much for posting this book. This is me, as well. I like you even more now! You are showing a side of you that is seldom seen or heard. All men like complicated women, even gay men. Here's to you!

Raina Cox said...

Kevin - Gropes to you, m'love!