Recent Posts

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sell to the masses, eat with the classes

Reed Krakoff is the man responsible for each and every hideous Coach bag that assaults your retinas whenever you step into your local mall. The candy-colored double Cs, the monstrous logo-ed patchwork, an advertising campaign featuring the no-hit wonder Mandy Moore - yes, Monsieur Krakoff foisted it all on the world. For some reason, middle America gobbles it up. Outfitting every Amber and Tiffany is a highly lucrative gig, and Krakoff has an 18,000 sq ft Manhattan townhouse to show for it.

In the photo above, Krakoff is pictured with his interior designer wife, Delphine, their daughter, Lily, and Marc Newson's "Lockheed Lounge," a chair whose prototype sold at auction last year for $1.6 million. So what else does helming an "attainable" luxury brand buy one these days? Quite a bit...

"Robert Motherwell's 1968 Open No. 16 surveys the living room's design-scape. The Claude Lalanne bronze crocodile chair sits next to a chrome-and-Lucite Guy de Rougemont coffee table. Jean Royère's 1953 sofa (right)."

"Frank Stella's 1974 painting Concentric Squares, with an André Dubreuil clock and a sculpture by Alexandre Noll on a 1930s Serge Roche table on the living-room landing."

"Alexander Liberman's dot painting hangs above Garouste & Bonetti's console and chairs and a flock of Lalanne sheep in the entrance hall."

"In the master bathroom, a pair of Louis XVI marquises made by Georges Jacob flank a 1930s Jean-Michel Frank vellum waterfall table. Serge Roche's 1955 mirror."

"A c. 1900 Louis Comfort Tiffany lamp in the library hangs over a 1930 Marc du Plantier table."

"Maude, Lily, and Oscar on the settee in their Pierre Le-Tan-designed playroom."

"Daughter Maude's bedroom, with an Emilio Pucci rug, two Félix Davin chairs from 1935, and a 1940s Carlhian daybed."

"An iconic 1930s Jean-Michel Frank sofa beneath Line Vautrin mirrors."

"Reed Krakoff in the living room, in front of Alexander Calder's 1971 wall mobile Two Black Discs and Six Others."

"Some couples like to hike or garden together," says Delphine. "Collecting design is what we love to do together. Reed comes home from work and I show him the pieces I found that day and he shows me things he found. Every day, it's 'Look at what I found. I love this piece!'"

*Raina's eyebrow arches*

32 comments:

Mrs Woog said...

Resisting urge to reach through the computer, grabbing the Hydrangias from those little brats and smacking their dad over the head with it... just an urge

obviouslyanon said...

defining oneself totally via the artistic expression of others.....decor for the deeply insecure.

Sharon @ Real Estate Resuscitation said...

"Reed Krakoff is the man responsible for each and every hideous Coach bag that assaults your retinas whenever you step into your local mall."...that was hilarious and perfectly worded. My retinas got assaulted this morning when I was shopping online for a handbag. I wish shopping sites would have a button to click to show everything EXCEPT Coach!

Coté Provence said...

Love, love this post! you are so funny!
Even if they gave me all the artwork for free I wouldn't want it!... well maybe I'll sell it and buy something else with it! Does a 3 or 4 year old, Maude, really need a Pucci rug in her bedroom???

A bientot!

David said...

I'd like to think the kids are dressed that way specifically for the photo, but I fear all of their clothes are purchased based on how they'll work with the decor.

I'm all for having nice things and good art. I'd take that Frank Stella in a second. And I'm all for really good antiques. That said, in this concentration it just seems kind of joyless.

Teri said...

My retinas are permanently destroyed!

And, I have a question- as a mom I am all for surrounding your children with nice things so they appreciate them. BUT, honestly chairs from the 1930's and a rug that cost more then my home? Aren't we just asking for either trouble or a child in need of oodles of therapy? (I mean aside from the embarrassment of their dad and his Coach bags?)

Raina Cox said...

Teri - You do notice those are three of the most unhappy looking children in the history of ever.

sanctuaryhome said...

Where is the mix of high and low in this house? It seems like they collect only the most high end recognizable items they can find, not what they truly love. Being at a dinner party here (while undoubtedly interesting) would be a horrible sea of name dropping. I would get a great amount of enjoyment in finding an ikea bookshelf or a target duvet in this sea of conspicuous consumption.

nkp said...

Lots of beautiful things, but frankly not much soul. This feels more like a deliberately curated and edited gallery then a home filled with beloved belongings. But hey, if he's savvy enough to amass a fortune by peddling those borings handbags- more power to him.

erin@designcrisis said...

Well, I guess a de Sede endless sofa is downright cheap for some folks. Hawking belogoed, ill made bags obviously pays well.

I will admit that he does have some beautiful pieces. They would look better in my house, though.

ModernSauce said...

*eyeroll* They "decorate" with about as much taste and personality as the people who collect those Coach bags. Just with more money.

susieq said...

"Reed comes home from work and I show him the pieces I found that day and he shows me things he found."

I can consume with the best of them, but this is just too rich and too vulgar.

Jessica said...

I'm chiming in here with, yes, boring. And oh dear, those poor little oppressed looking children. But Raina please explain, what is it about this place that while full of fabulousness is so pppbbbbbbbbbllllllllllll?

Julia said...

I'm still shaking my head, thinking "holy crap, that's a bathroom?!!"

so glad to have found this blog. it's such fun.

Teri said...

Yes, I did.

I want to take them outside and teach them to jump in muddy puddles.

and the joys of jumping from a chair to a bed (not that I would ever have done that myself.)

karly / design-crisis.com said...

I bet Maude, Lily, & Oscar would't be caught dead carrying a coach bag.

Love this post, love the title, love it all. Mostly I still love that you're back.

Raina Cox said...

Karly - Oh, I don't know. If little Oscar is at all like his father, feminine accoutrements may well be in his future.

*Raina's eyebrow arches again*

Sketch42 said...

Call me crazy... I like the place!

my favorite and my best said...

douchers.

but i will take one aligator chair and polka dot painting please..

Dumbwit Tellher said...

I've sunk into depths of despair / :

Can I come back a one of their kids please? : P

The Down East Dilettante said...

And all I have is a lousy Coach belt (now too small, as the Dilettante has become too large). Let me ponder the inequality of that....

Liz, Viive and Benji said...

That produce for the masses mantra is rife throughout the furniture industry. Things are tough for people who deliberately design ugly things for people with bad taste. I'm with Martha Stewart, tell them what good taste is, then sell it to them! Great post!
Liz

helent said...

When I was a divorce lawyer, the disgruntled ex husband of my client sent me a note at the end of the proceedings which stated, simply, "Smug Cunt". I feel the time has now come to pass it on. Here you are Mr K.

Raina Cox said...

helent - I now profess my love to you.

MyLittleHappyPlace said...

I'll admit, I don't get it.

Julie @ Chapman Interiors said...

Haaaaaaaaaaaa!!! *Raina's eyebrows* is the best part of this post. The design (while many classic pieces that i drool over) doesn't work aesthically or ethically for me. But kind of explains the mismatched patchwork and random bright colors.

Kendra said...

I have a feeling these children are considered accessories as well. Recently discovered and loving this blog!!!!!

Raina Cox said...

Kendra - I think you hit the nail on the head. Welcome to La Lamp Shade!

Lausi said...

Horrible!

Seriously... no matter how expensive, exclusive, whatever these "collectibles" are... they do nothing for me here.

Goes to show, style and class has nothing to do with wealth ;)

(or rich men's interior designer wives :)

Bromeliad said...

I think it would have been more fun to stuff a couple of beanbags with one hundred dollar bills.

kim at allconsuming said...

at least when Maude spews on her Pucci rug you won't see it.

And of course his wife's name is Delphine.

God this makes me stabby.

I mean, so much stuff so little substance.


(breaking my self-imposed embargo on style blogs just for you.)

Karena said...

Not sure how I missed this one Raina. I love the art collection, the rest can go... it is too much a mishmash thrown together.

Karena
Art by Karena