Recent Posts

Sunday, September 19, 2010

An adult playland

The Rainbow House is a magical oasis on a busy road filled with people and noise. When you step through its front door, you enter a parallel universe of fun, colour, movement and sensuality, leaving the ordinary world far behind.

The house is a living artwork in which every corner offers a unique and magical discovery. A trap door in the floor pops open to reveal a slide that zips you down to the living room below, where an over-sized sofa creates a 12 x 8 metre soft piazza for playing, sleeping and living.

The slide's hatch in the master bath.

The master bedroom and bath.

The kitchen.

These surprising and disparate elements unite into one composition around a central spiral staircase. This bespoke fibreglass and steel fabrication passes through the full spectrum of the rainbow as it rises through the house. At each storey, its hue spreads out and influences the colour of that floor, creating a visual rhythm on a vertical axis. Sun pours down through skylights at the very top of the house, drenching the staircase in light and bringing it to life.

[Ab Rogers Design via Marie Claire Maison]

18 comments:

Karena said...

Wow Raina this is super eye candy. I bet the family who lives here is fun, fun, fun!

I will go check the links...superb design.

Karena
Art by Karena

my favorite and my best said...

what happens when you want to sit around and do nothing? or just sulk?
i would love to send fiona there on a playdate. but i couldn't live there in a million billion.
too happy and bright for my dark and stormy side.

susieq said...

Not sure I'd want to live in playland, but I'd love to visit. Or maybe work there. LOVE the colors.

Raina Cox said...

MFAMB - Agreed. I would a need a room with crusty plaster walls and dark wood floors to escape to every once in a while.

nkp said...

I know my menz would love it, me- not so much.

Mrs Woog said...

What a crock of shite. Looks like a Gen Y ad agency. That copywriter needs to get off the crack pipe.
xo

Domestic Goddess said...

Oooooooooh PRETTY. And funsies! Looks like the archictect/designer was on some major happy pills, though. Wonder if I can get some of those?!

citytradewinds said...

is this the same house that was in one of the "9 by design" episodes? or just by the same designer.

Raina Cox said...

citytradewinds - This is by a design firm out of London, Ab Rogers, but I do see the similarities.

Also, hello and welcome to this deliciousness!

sherri said...

couldn't live there, but loooove looking at it.

Robin said...

The bathroom would make me batty, but the kitchen is deeevine.

Alexis L., The Studioist said...

Fun but a little too precious for my taste. Something about it is oddly repressed.

erin@designcrisis said...

How is she climbing those stairs with platform heels on?

I would love to take Ike here to play, though. Sure beats the hell out of my local Gymboree.

dave said...

I can be more goth than the Addams family, but I think that staircase is genius. I'd love to see it rising through a gloomy old castle. The rest of the house, though? I prefer my whimsy less stark and sterile.

Raina Cox said...

Dave - The idea of that staircase in a gothic rockpile is genius.

helent said...

The Wrong Woods floor is ace but the rest reminds of the marble run game

karly / design-crisis.com said...

Erin is right, our gymboree sux. They have florescent lights and macaroni yellow walls. Are you vomiting yet?

Anyway, I want to be reborn and raised in this house.

kim at allconsuming said...

I have looked at this post of yours about 10 times over the last few days. I adore it. Not all of it, but most of it. ADORE.

I am sure what is attracting me is the complete lack of clutter and dust. Two key features of my home.

The thing I am loving the most is the floor in the kitchen - not that actual pattern or colour but the concept. Want want want.