Recent Posts

Friday, September 24, 2010

The apartment of THAT kitchen

Annie Schlechter.

When I came across this week's installment of New York Social Diary's "House" series, I thought "Hold up - I know that kitchen." It's the infamous green-and-gold-tiled space once featured in Domino (RIP) and on every interior design blog in the web-o-sphere.

The studio apartment is owned by architect David Mann. Because he rarely spends time there other than to sleep, Mann decided the space should be sparsely decorated. Two vintage metal cabinets flank the entry. The painting is a self-portrait by Benjamin Cottam. To the right is the kitchen.

The floors are ebonized wood, and the walls and ceiling are waxed plaster. *groan* What is it about wax that makes everything look better? Old wood, car bodies, the lady bits of the Kardashian sisters. Actually, I may be wrong about the last one.

The Mongolian lamb blanket is from J. Mendel. Goodness, I want to roll around naked on it. Badly.

An unfortunate shot of the bedspread that makes it look like a Kmart bathmat. Tucked into a corner is a photograph by a Dietmar Busse.

The folding chair belongs to his partner of 18 years, Fritz Karch, Martha Stewart's editorial director for collecting. Talk about Power Gays!

The open shelves of the kitchen as they are actually used, as opposed to being styled for a photo shoot. Remember, Dumplings, to always clean your toes before cooking.

Mmmm...tasty mint tea brewing in a vintage teapot. And that TILE - "Giallo Senegal" from Bisazza's "Le Gemme" series.

The trade-off for such a small space is this spectacular terrace. Mann maintains a farmers' market worth of green things.

Yummy outdoor entertaining possibilities.

Happy weekend, Lovers - I hope yours is filled with glittery mosaic tile and Mongolian lamb goodness!

[New York Social Diary]

18 comments:

my favorite and my best said...

that rocks...too bad the photographer hasn't a clue.

Sue Murphy said...

That balcony is amazing. Not to sure about the throw on the bed though. Once got crabs from rolling around on a Mink Throw in the buff. Have steered clear ever since.

A Perfect Gray said...

lordy. those metal cabinets...

Raina Cox said...

Sue Murphy - Gold Star comment of the day!

nkp said...

My, my that was satisfying.

whitecabana said...

"always clean your toes before cooking" Hahahaha...
You just made me laugh (and snort!) out loud. I needed that today. Thanks.
-Jordana

susieq said...

Great post. I'd risk crabs to roll around on that throw in the buff!

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

Yeah, I second Susieq -- the throw's totally doin' it for me. Come to Mama!

thenerochronicles.blogspot.com

Edith Hope said...

Dear Raina,Metal cabinets, ebonised floors, industrial lighting, contemporary art and terracotta pots - most certainly yes! But, as for the shag pile bedspread and the mouldy walled kitchen -oh, dear me no!

The Down East Dilettante said...

"What is it about wax that makes everything look better? Old wood, car bodies, the lady bits of the Kardashian sisters. Actually, I may be wrong about the last one."

Tears of laughter are rolling down my cheeks.

They're combined with the tears of envy over that terrace...

Appletree said...

that terrace is just fucking amazing

Sketch42 said...

SUE- thats really hilarious.

So, the apt... im torn between love and hate.

Charlotta Ward said...

Heart beating fast.. Stuck for words.. This place is just heaven..!

Have a great rest of the wekend.

Hugs from Sweden.
x C

kim at allconsuming said...

Well well well, here we are contemplating waxing one of our walls. I had no idea we were so 'in'.

Tonia of Chic Modern Vintage said...

*sigh** I love the whole joint, when can I move in?

Ms. Bright said...

That view! Great tile, obvs.

LOL @ Sue Murphy's comment. Although, I'm certain it wasn't very funny at the time...

Petra Voegtle said...

The appartment - no for me but that roof garden!!!! a thousand times yes!

Raina Cox said...

Alcira Molina-Ali - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness!