Recent Posts

Friday, September 3, 2010

A gift from the ass gods, plus a small project

I want two of these chairs for my family room, a makeover that's at least two projects away. You may remember me getting 14 kinds of excited over vamping up the back patio. The day I was going to place the order for the outdoor sectional, one wall of the master bath shower crumbled.

Uh, yeah.

Our house is nearly 40-years-old and hasn't been well cared for in the past ten. I knew the master bath would have to be remodeled sooner rather than later, but I was hoping the sooner wouldn't come for at least another 18 months.

The outside wall of the shower room adjacent to the tub.

My father-in-law, Mr. Fix-it, is flying out next month to kick-start the renovation. The shower room wall will be torn down and the ancient Jacuzzi tub ripped out.
'Scuse the sketch. I really do have a B.S. in Interior Design.

The two areas will be combined into one luxurious open shower room. The shower door opening will be closed up to create a bench nook. We will have two ceiling-mounted rain shower heads.

My inspiration photo.

A floor plan of the new space.

The cabinets will be refaced and the travertine slab countertop saved. I know you are twitching with excitement over that wallpaper. As fab as it is, it's in terrible shape and won't be saved. Well, maybe a swatch for sentimentality's sake.

Instead of glass doors, I will use two John Robshaw shower curtains. The shower walls and bath floor will be travertine and the shower floor a deep blue penny tile.

So, while I didn't get the outdoor entertaining space of my dreams this summer, I will be enjoying a sumptuous master bath much sooner than I had anticipated. I will be taking daily (or near daily) photos of the remodel and posting them to a slideshow on the side bar, including a final shot of me au naturel enjoying my new shower. Ok, probably not that last bit.

27 comments:

Julie @ Chapman Interiors said...

Ohhh love your inspiration photo! And you definitely need to save (and frame in an appropo gilded frame) a swatch of that most delicious wallpaper..

Exciting! Yes, photograph the process por favor :)

Robin said...

I love the shower inspiration photo, can't wait to see the work in progress. Too bad you can't save the wallpaper, it really is groovy. But the Robshaw fabric is a nice homage to it.

life, in small chunks said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all your choices! That is going to be one hell of a bathroom! Good for you! Karin

littlebeachbum said...

LOVE the inspiration photo! I love deep blues in bathrooms...makes me feel like I'm in/at/around the ocean (or the pool, I suppose). Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

my favorite and my best said...

yaaaaaaaaaayyyyy! you could put some strategically placed soap bubbles over your boobies and muff.

Jill said...

I'm so glad you included your sketch!!

I draw for shit, but somehow the contractors know what I'm talking about.

Love, love, love the penny tile!!

susieq said...

Raina girl, I love every single bit of it!! You select the very best. It's going to be killer.

Karena said...

Raina it is so great that you roll with the punches, I totally admire that, sometimes you just have to turn on a dime! The bath will be gorgeous!

Karena
Art by Karena

David said...

Here's hoping the last of the walls have crumbled and there's nothing awful to be uncovered.

I'll think of you as we're replaced a section of old termite damage in the subfloor and putting down underlayment this weekend!

AB HOME Interiors said...

Oh my! Your current bathroom looks so unloved. And that wallpaper, phew! What were they thinking, comes to mind. ha!
Your inspiration photo is awesome! Will be fabulous!
amanda

only a movie said...

Looking forward to following the progress of another great project in the Barbie Dream House. xo

sherri said...

those chairs are so hot they make me sweat. I love that color leather, I was lusting after one similar when I went to Asheville and had to back away before I maxed out our credit card. that tile looks gorgeous you picked - and I love the current wallpaper. your new master bath is looks like it will be divine.

erin@designcrisis said...

Hmmm, AB Home, here I was thinking the current bathroom was looking kinda killer (minus the crumbling wall). I mean, is that travertine surrounding the bathtub? But I do have a mid 60s rancharoo, so I suppose it's all relative.

Of course, Raina, I know whatever you do to that bathroom is going to leave me drooling, so I won't lament its loss for too long.

MyLittleHappyPlace said...

Freakin' my freak over the thought of Robshaw curtains and penny tiles. CAN'T WAIT to seeeee!!!

Elisa @ What the Vita said...

This bathroom is going to be SICK. Open shower room? Love it, love it!

Raina Cox said...

Erin - That is a travertine tub surround. Taking a sledge hammer to it will shave a year off my life.

Debi Altbergs said...

Wow - so you realize that house guests will want to use the master bath...right. And you would let us...right? :)

Raina Cox said...

Debi - My sybaritic bathing experience is your sybaritic bathing experience.

Topaz said...

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to seeing the work in progress. Love your choices.

SPLENDEROSA said...

Raina, it will be awesome when you finish. The process is worth it. I think I can pinpoint the exact month your home was completed by that wallpaper. I'm dying with laughter. Can't wait to see pics.
xx's

Tonia of Chic Modern Vintage said...

Your plans look fabulous, I can't wait to see.

ampersand-design.blogspot.com said...

Love, love the chairs. They look so comfy and I really like the colour of the leather.

I think the wallpaper is fantastic, looks very Florence Broadhurst, but I would have loved to have seen it in a room such as the living room.

Your plans look amazing and I think the navy tile is just gorgeous. Ties in wonderfully with your stunning dark moody master bedroom.

Can't wait to see the progress.

Sandy K

Charlotta Ward said...

Loving the plans for the new bathroom! Your vision is always great Raina!
Yes do save a scrap piece of that amazing wallpaper and frame it! It's fantastic! Who is it by?

Also looking forward to the slide show.. and assume that by saying 'ok probably not that last bit' you mean it will be a shot of you au naturel but not in the new shower.. Right!? :)

x Charlotta

Cote de Texas said...

Gorgeous plans. Can't wait to see the finished project! Happy new year to you and yours.

longlist said...

Crying shame about that wallpaper, it's too awesome. To everything there is a season, eh?.

Totally adore the blue penny tiles, it's going to look super fab with the shower curtains and all...looking forward to the slide show updates!!

Jessica said...

well this is exciting! love the double rain shower, but just curious about the choice of no tub since I personally love to soak

Raina Cox said...

Jessica - Tubs aren't my thing, but a giant shower is heaven to me.