Recent Posts

Monday, September 20, 2010

Why it's OK to date a man for his house

Oh, man. I have been waiting for this slide show to go up online. Elle Decor has a killer issue out for October, and the feature on fashion designer Carlos Miele's Brazilian beach getaway makes my bits tingle. Built on an island off the country’s southern coast, the house is the perfect mix of modern architecture, boho contempo interiors, and beautiful locally-sourced materials. For example, feast your eyeballs on the interior dividing wall, above, "made of imperfectly aligned stacks of São Tomé, a blond-and-russet Brazilian stone." You're a-tingle too, aren't you?

"Miele designed the pequi-wood sectional in the living area; the cowhide rug is handmade, and the floor is paved in Brazilian stone." It's my idea of paradise - lounging in the middle of a lush tropical jungle without, you know, actually having to go outside. My JewFro is a sensitive beast.

"In the living area, an antique sofa made of eucalyptus and a brass daybed upholstered in suede are grouped with a cocktail table of native pequi wood, a patchwork-leather ottoman, a woven-leather chair, and a handmade wool rug; the doors open to the garden." I want that daybed more than Lindsay Lohan wants to snort cocaine off a lesbian DJ's ass.

Miele is also an acclaimed multi-media artist, with videos and installations shown at museums in Brazil and the U.S. "The dining area is dominated by oversize photographs from a performance piece staged by Miele at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C." I think that table needs to be at least twice as big, but Carlos didn't ask for my opinion.

"The kitchen cabinetry mixes stainless steel with nogueira wood from the country’s southeast region; the floor is Brazilian stone." I wonder what native U.S. wood my friend Paul would source for a similar look. Hmmmm...

The 18th-century carved wood bed is from Portugal and backs a (*cough* sexytimes *cough*) mirrored wall. "[T]he wool coverlet is handmade, and the bench is from Brazil’s southeast region; the floor of peroba wood, a tree commonly found in Brazil, is topped with a cowhide, and the print is by the São Paulo artist Alberto Simon."

"The master bath’s zigzag chair is made of nogueira wood; the open shower and tub are sheathed in Brazilian granite." Frolicking in an open shower will be my reality very very soon.

The "82-foot-long swimming pool, with one end in the garden and the other in the middle of the living area, framed by a deck made from pinus, a Brazilian wood. During the day the pool serves as a mirror, reflecting the light from outside; at night, underwater lamps put on a colorful light show." That bra-zilliant hanging chair is by Armando Cerello.

The house is sited to face a wide lagoon, Lagoa da Conceição. "The pool is lined in blue mosaic tiles, and the deck is made of Brazilian pinus wood." Seriously, this house must be a hardship.

Miele, an avid student of modern architecture, was inspired by the work of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Philip Johnson. "The enormous glass panes of Miele’s home turn the meticulously cultivated natural environment outside the windows into grand decor. Every wall becomes, in effect, a mural of abundant trees and flowering plants. 'On nights with a full moon, you don’t need light inside,' he says."

*sigh*

[Elle Decor]

26 comments:

Kate said...

All good but what does HE look like? I need to know these things before I prepare my sexual services.

PS I want that pool.

Design Blooms said...

Ha! good post! I just used that pool in a post last week!

Raina Cox said...

Kate - Here ya go, Babe:

http://www.elledecor.com/image/tid/5846?page=1

Kate said...

I'm sure he's a really nice man, but I think I may just stick to what I've got and keep buying lottery tickets for now.

Raina Cox said...

Kate - I hear you.

Noir Blanc Interiors LLC said...

From my life experiences "It will always be HIS house." NEXT...

Things That Inspire said...

Only on a design blog could an author state that a house makes her bits tingle, and every single person reading relates and feels the same way. This is why I love blogs!

my favorite and my best said...

forget that i loved it too, but when i first saw it in ED i KNEW 100% that you touched yourself when you saw it for the first time. it's a REAL funny thing when you can put your finger on your besties' design style in addition to your own.
c'nuts 4 ever.

Mrs Woog said...

veeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrry nice pant pant.


They only reason not to date a man for his house is when the house in question is the White House.

erin@designcrisis said...

When it's made from Brazilian penis wood, you know it's got to be good.

Raina Cox said...

Noir Blanc Interiors LLC - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness!

The mad woman behind the blog said...

Oh, we wouldn't have to date. I'd give this cow away for free for THAT spread.

What? You wouldn't?

Edith Hope said...

Dear Raina, And not a curtain in sight! The natives may well be as restless as you with so much to look at!

ampersand-design.blogspot.com said...

What a hideous, hideous house. (please note: only because I want it and can't have it).

Love it all especially the pool, the bathroom, the kitchen, the bedroom, the lounge room, the dining area, the ....

I want it and I want it now. Stamps foot. Just call me Veruca.

Sandy K

Paul Anater said...

While it's true that only Brazilian Penis Wood really looks like that (thank you Erin), it's possible to get cherry veneers to line up like that too.

Sketch42 said...

The whole issue was extra awesome. LOVED!

susieq said...

LOVE IT. Want it. Drooling.

And, yes, that mirrored wall is *ahem* dead sexy. Keep them, Raina. For Larry.

The Down East Dilettante said...

*sigh*

Naomi@ThirteenandSouth said...

So I've been too lazy to do an address change and I think my tenants have been stealing my Elle Decor. Bitches.

Thanks for sharing.

That bedroom is the bomb. And yes beds against mirrored walls will always make me think of you.

life, in small chunks said...

ahhh...that bedroom. wow. my fantasy life is about to get better...karin

Raina Cox said...

Mad Woman - Oh, I totally would.

Acanthus and Acorn said...

The first image is...perfect and I would totally fight you for the chaise...my kind of modern and let you have the man and the rest of the house! Deal?

MyLittleHappyPlace said...

FINALLY got my ED today, and flipped to the article when I saw it featured a home in Brazil. Yeah, tough break on having to live there. I've not been to Florianopolis, but my hubster says it's pretty freakin' amazing.

p.s. - they said "pinus" wood - HA!

nkp said...

Penis Wood! I love Erin. Am I bad to have been thinking the same thing?

Yet another c-nut compound possibility??? Between the four of us I bet we could take him!

Michelle said...

Ohh, was just drooling over this with the hubs last night. I was complaining about Elle Decor, we have a love hate relationship...but we both agreed, this one takes the cake.

Raina Cox said...

Acanthus and Acorn - Done deal.