Recent Posts

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Lonny magazine's dollhouse - about what you'd expect

The second submission in Curbed's "Operation Dollhouse," from online shelter magazine Lonny, debuted this afternoon. And it's about what you'd expect. The Domino-esque mix of eclectic standards - a zebra rug, lucite, seagrass, something vaguely French country, and a mid-century modern piece, chevron patterns...zzzzzz...

A reminder of the dollhouse Lonny was given.

The decorative pieces Curbed generously donated.
Points off, Lonny team, for not using them all.

The downstairs.

The entry, supposedly inspired by Dorothy Draper.

The living room with a Directoire cabinet, a wee Barcelona daybed,
and a Vincent Longo photograph.

Chevron window treatment.
*yawn*

Oh sweet Hay-soos, no! A teensy weensy sunburst mirror.

I do not understand what's going on upstairs.

Seriously. Can someone explain it to me?

Fingers crossed that tomorrow's dollhouse kicks it up a notch.

["Lonny Dollhouse: Dorothy Draper with a Modern Twist"]

12 comments:

Kari said...

For a magazine with a shoestring budget and a small staff, we should applaud them for taking the time to do this, and for doing a damn good job at that! It's clean and classy and certainly more creative than the other dollhouses we've seen.

Raina Cox said...

Kari - We've only seen one other dollhouse, House Beautiful's, and it was a damn sight more creative. Lonny is just rehashing trends from the past five years.

Mackenzie {Design Darling} said...

I like the art but that bed needs to be flicked to the curb.

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

I agree Raina same caca we see everyday,let's hope the next one is goood! This almost makes me want to run off to Michael's buy miniature furniture and work my magic on it, almost.

MyLittleHappyPlace said...

I don't think it's horrible, but certainly not original...

Emily said...

"Oh sweet Hay-soos, no! A teensy weensy sunburst mirror." Ah I'm cracking up! And I totally agree - sunburst mirror *retch*

Jane said...

I gotta say I would be happy to have this dolls house in my daughter's bedroom. But I don't think that's the point is it. Agree its pretty unoriginal.

I am a bit of a dolls house obsessive. I know that's pretty weird but there you have it. Off to look at the site now. xoxo

The Down East Dilettante said...

Dorothy Draper, huh? Lipsticked pig, I say. Takes more than black and white stripes to do D.D.

One of the transformative moments of my young aesthetic life was the first time I set foot in the lobby she did at Hampshire House. Still stuns me.

my favorite and my best said...

they certainly stayed true to the lomino aesthetic.

i am neither hating nor loving.

but it is just a doll house.
it is a helluva lot cuter than fiona's pastel plastic dollhouse.

karly / design-crisis.com said...

It seems like they were decorating with hand-me-downs and thrift store finds, which is fine for a person in real life, but the doll house is fantasy. You can take it up a notch.

susieq said...

Looks like the dollhouse version of My Favorite and My Best's list of trends we're tired of.

Alexis L., The Studioist said...

That's the homliest shabbied dresser I've seen in a while, on any scale.