Recent Posts

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Why I'm going to love Deborah Needleman at The Wall Street Journal

Because as the new editor for WSJ. and the weekend lifestyle section, she's going to give me so much fantastic blog post material! Like today's "20 odd questions: Andy Spade." In it, we learn that the handsome fellow above likes to shop at a superhero supply store in Brooklyn, grows kiwi fruit, and drives the car pictured below.

Retro WASP zippy about-town vehicle.

For his wife Kate Spade's birthday, he spent six months creating a scrapbook: "There were subway tokens and a lock of her hair I snipped when she was asleep. There's a penny we used for a wish. I stole it back out of the wishing well and taped it into the book. There are images that I'd secretly taken of her, and of us in a mirror. It was an ode to our life in New York."

DEE-lightful! And not the least bit creepy.

Needleman has brought the superfab David Netto on-board. Today, he writes about Madeleine Castaing, a 20th-century French decorator nearly forgotten by today's interior designers. A new book about her work with a forward by Jacques Grange will be released at the end of the month.

A room by Castaing with her signature black lamp shade.

After setting the blogosphere on fire with her flowering quince bedroom walls, former Domino creative director Sara Ruffin Costello has declared wallpaper "kind of last year." She blames the design media for the oversaturation of "scene-stealing walls." So what does Costello believe to be the next big thing for walls?

High shine.

That's right, Dumplings, it's time to rip down the wallpaper for which you just paid several hundreds of dollars. Since your walls are now a mess of leftover glue and torn drywall, you will have to hire a professional to smoothe them to perfection. Then, if you're feeling adventurous, "[y]ou can paint a room in high-gloss, water-based paint, or do like decorators and go for a lacquered finish, which involves several coats of polyurethane over water-based paint, sanding between layers. It's a pricey route—but brilliant."

Ruffalo believes "[t]he collective aesthetic is moving towards a grown-up subtlety." Well, gee thanks, Sara. Now that I think about it, my two rooms papered in Osborne & Little's Suzy Hoodless collection do look incredibly infantile. I'm going to shellac my walls immediately.

And to think, Dumplings, we get to enjoy these musings each and every Saturday! Some bad, some good, and some utterly out of touch. I CANNOT WAIT.

14 comments:

Edith Hope said...

Dear Raina, I do so agree from what you write here that DN can provide us all with endless juicy gossip and entertainment every week. However, she is outstripped by someone who provides us with delicious gossip, stunning interior decoration ideas, touches of humour so that we do not take ourselves too seriously and, of course, the latest fashions for those girls or boys about town.......DN is thoroughly outdone every day of the week by YOU, dear Raina!!

helent said...

Andy I just found this snap of your Mum and Dad - feel free to stick it in that scrap book

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/images/bbc/talent/radiotalent/200league_gentlemen.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2002/11_november/12/bbc7_launch_date.shtml&usg=__j8_PqsntdRZAVzs-5uN9PlkAYmA=&h=202&w=200&sz=14&hl=en&start=16&sig2=moH_hPUkjMzVxPNGM5g9KA&zoom=1&tbnid=gfwq1XcA-n0nVM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=118&ei=r0WwTN3HNouRjAeGk7VF&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dleague%2Bof%2Bgentlemen%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Den%26biw%3D1197%26bih%3D690%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C768&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=155&vpy=205&dur=381&hovh=161&hovw=160&tx=120&ty=80&oei=qUWwTJODEcaAOoPHkNoF&esq=2&page=2&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:16&biw=1197&bih=690

Debi Altbergs said...

Sweet! Can't wait for more - sounds like great fodder! :)

The mad woman behind the blog said...

Dammit! Edith stole my remark! I SWEAR!
I "read" a lot of design blogs by scrolling through the pictures and moving on to the next one.
Yours however! I stop and read every word, snort chuckle and scroll down hoping to find more gold.

Yeah for more gold!

Alexis L., The Studioist said...

Moving towards a grown up subtlety, eh? That's not what I would call a patent leather-slicked wall of paint. And when people in middle America start throwing high gloss paint on their orange peel walls in a rough approximation of this look, God help us all.

Raina Cox said...

Edith Hope and Mad Woman - You are both too too kind.

Helent - THAT is the best thing I've seen all week! Here's a shortened link to the photo, Dumplings:

http://tinyurl.com/34bumwb

You MUST click.

my favorite and my best said...

you are en fuego this morning RC. love it.
i don't think wallpaper could be last year when there are so many options. it's not like a keep calm poster or antlers.
i do love a lacquered wall but it just couldn't REPLACE wallpaper.
but could we please put an end to wallpapered furniture and wallpapering the backs of shelves and cabinets?

erin@designcrisis said...

I broke the shiny wall story months and months ago, so I'm already bored by it. Also my walls suffer from a severe case of cellulite, so no lacquered finishes for me. And no way will anyone stop me from enjoying a properly papered space -- I'd happily move into the Pea's room any time.

Oh, and Andy Spade is officially on serial killer watch!

The Down East Dilettante said...

..."and not the least bit creepy". HAHAHAH!!!!

have I told you lately that I love you?

Teri said...

Seriously, Kate Spade's husband is a creepy stalker.

I would SOOOOOOOO freak if my husband cut a lock of my hair. And, he wouldn't like the fact that he would have to stay 30 ft away from me.

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

I'm tellin' ya, WSJ weekends is where it's AT.
And you can even buy a sub for thursday thu Sunday if design delights and pretty pearls of wisdome are all you're really looking for.

Cheers, Alcira

thenerochronicles.blogspot.com

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

Oops, my bad, I meant "wisdom"...duh.

Jenn @ Living Luxe for Less said...

I totally agree with you! I'm so excited that Deborah Needleman is at the WSJ, and I will definitely be getting a subscription now! Just another reason to love Saturdays!

kim at allconsuming said...

I'd like it noted that we were planning on doing one of those high-shine lacquered walls in our house over a year ago.

Clearly so ahead of our time.

And yeah, so not creepy. If I discovered my husband was cutting off my hair in my sleep and stealing pennies out of the wishing well I'd just thrown in there I'd be seriously pissed. And not sleeping well.