Recent Posts

Monday, November 15, 2010

Design blogger superfun

Jenny of My Favorite and My Best with The Pea.

I gotta tell ya, Dumplings, when I started this blogging thing almost three years ago, I never thought I would find the three best friends a girl could ever hope for. And, conveniently enough, they all live in one city - Atlanta.

Late last night, I returned from my (now) biannual pilgrimage to the Peach State. I took The Pea with me to meet up with Jenny from My Favorite and My Best, Nelya from Head Over Heels, Susie from Eye Spy. You may remember my first trip this past May. We had so much fun the first time around, I couldn't imagine waiting an entire year to see them all again.

We headed out Friday morning to some Buckhead specialty shops. Our first stop was Pieces. I was shocked at how tiny it was, that the look was three years past its expiration date, and how large the stick up the salestwink's ass was. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

We then popped around the corner to a new eco interiors shop - Bee. I loved everything last damn thing in there. I would have photographed it all, but the owner is superweird about bloggers. Um, hello, free publicity.

I snagged these two shots of the shop's interior from Susie's blog. She was more ballsy than me, and you know I have a huge pair.

I bought the basket, above, at Bee. It's made of recycled something-or-other and only cost $60. YAY for reasonably-priced sustainable decor! We also each bought leather super power cuffs.

We had lunch at the new Flip Burger location and then stuffed our faces with Gigi's Cupcakes. Susie took us to her super secret cheapo vintage source where I found an Adler-esque vase/frog, above, for $15. I'm thinking a pink carnation afro.

The day wound down with dinner at Susie's cooked by her handsome husband, David. Their younger daughter took The Pea under her wing, enjoying some twinsie dress-up and cheerleading instruction. I'm pretty sure Pea wants to be adopted by the Quillins.

Their having two lovebug dogs doesn't hurt.

Saturday, we dropped the youngins off with Jenny's husband, SuperMike (he really is super), who took them to the zoo. Jenny was preparing a kickass dinner for us, so Nelya, Susie, and I headed to Scott Antiques Market for a few hours. Check out the yummy textile booth above!

We hadn't been there 10 mintues when Suzanne Kasler strolled by. That's her on the right in the black. I know Miss Suzanne from waaaaay back. She started her design career in Indianapolis. Her sister Nan, who is also an interior designer of great talent, was my store's #1 customer every year I was in business.

At Scott, we saw the most amazing goodies. I loved these unicorn and lion andirons and the drawing above them.

If you want a pendant light made of repurposed whatever, Scott is the place to go. I saw vintage globes...

... old turbines...

... and gathering baskets. Clever, but after the fifteenth example of cutesy lighting I was over it.

I tell you what, Dumplings, you could furnish an entire neighborhood of homes (no matter the style) with the inventory found at Scott. I was tempted by some crazygorgeous African art and a cork coffee table. The latter was only $450, but shipping would have killed the dealio. The seller was trying to convince me it was 1974 Ralph Lauren. Dude, RL had only just created his Lacoste tennis shirt knock-off at that point.

We grabbed a quick bite to eat at Parish in Inman Park. The restaurant is housed in the only structure left of the historical Terminal Building built in 1890. "The space features fully-restored crown moldings, antique Parisian sconces, red murano chandeliers, vaulted interior brick arches, a walnut and zinc bar, the original tin ceiling, refurbished windows, original exposed brick, a classic raw bar and a Vermont slate roof." Incredible interiors + yummy food = a very happy Raina.

It was back to Jenny's for a damn fine dinner of roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, salad, and brownie pudding. The girls were all over every inch of the house playing, dancing, singing, and generally having a ball. This is a rare moment of quiet in the evening.

P.S. Jenny found that $3400 Oly leather and iron daybed for $150 on Craigslist. You should hire her to find you some awesomesauce stuff. She's the Craigs Whisperer.

Sunday morning, we chowed down on a Mexican brunch and then zipped into H&M for a hot second. We gathered all of the kiddos for a group shot which, as you can tell by Jenny's face, was like herding cats. The three handsome boys are Nelya's. We're planning to all become blood relations by marrying off her little guys to one of each of our daughters. Susie's younger to Nelya's oldest, Fiona Honey to the middle future hunk, and Pea will stand under the huppah with Batman.

So I'm guessing y'all (see, I'm Southern now) are dying to know what Jenny's and Susie's homes are like. Well, I was too busy enjoying their hospitality to really snap vignette shots. Jenny's is neutral-hued paradise of eclecticism - very David Netto when he was married to Ione Skye. Susie's house is filled with the most sumptuous boho casual textiles and furnishings. She was Domino before Domino was Domino.

Nelya lives 30 minutes north of the city, so we'll have to save a visit to her place for another trip. We did have the pleasure of meeting her husband who knows a thing or two about how to treat a lady. He is all about the fine jewelry and sweet little surprises.

We're already planning our next get-together in the spring, and we're thinking road trip. Stay tuned...

31 comments:

Alexis said...

Fun!

erin@designcrisis said...

Oh man oh man oh man... that's all I can really say. Well, that and DAMN! When is Ike going to be old enough for me to travel? Because Atlanta looks amazing, and the lovely people who live there certainly add to its appeal.

Loads of charm all around. Thanks for the tour!

Naomi Stein said...

Sounds like another fantastic time! How fun the kiddos got to meet. Love the idea of these pre-arranged marriages. What design-savvy families these would be ;)

I'd really like to hit up Scott's. The whole city actually...

Belly said...

Oh to be a fly on the wall!

David said...

Now that looks like a good time. If you road trip it next year you've GOT to take along a video camera.

A Perfect Gray said...

been waiting on this post since I read about the meet up at MFAMB. Looks like one awesome time. You gals are SO LUCKY to have these wonderful friendships, ALL FROM BLOGGING.

You guys rock...

ModFruGal said...

Sounds like the poifect weekend...

MyLittleHappyPlace said...

Road trip to Brazil, right? ;)
Looks like such an awesome weekend - you gals rock!

my favorite and my best said...

hmm....road trip to brazil works for me!!

raina the pleasure was all ours.
you are too too kind.
xoxoforever

dave said...

Not to slight the other lovely children, but your daughter is SO beautiful. And unicorn and lion andirons?! Swoon.

Alicia B. Designs said...

ahhhhh that looks like SO MUCH FUN!! When are ya'll going to come to NYC??

xoxo
Alicia

Jane said...

What a great weekend! I must say Atlanta looks pretty cool. And fantastic to be setting up your children at such a young age! Why not, I say. xo

only a movie said...

Glad you had a blast. Thanks for sharing all the photos. :-)

sarah, flourish design + style said...

How far are you willing to travel on said road trip..
Looks like you guys had an amazing time, xoxo

Louise (Table Tonic) said...

Whoa Nelly! That's a lot to digest! Mmmmm.... Happy days.
Good fer yeeuw.

Sketch42 said...

Majorly jealous.

The Zhush said...

I think ya'll need to road trip to NYC! Adorable brood of children and all! Love the way you write so much!

Julie @ Chapman Interiors said...

Oh Raina so fun!!! I'm secretly have big jealous balls but have high hopes two girly bloggers that live in SF which is driveable if I have to. Or plane-able too of course. (but if i have a car i can buy stuff, happy me).

And ohmg that piece of art above the unicorn adirons was amazing. Do you think it's still there? i might have to go get it.

xoxoxo

nkp said...

Well that left me with c-nut withdrawals. Miss you and sweet Pea hugs.

xoxo-n.

p.s.-sorry for getting in the way of at least 50% of your photos! :0)

Leigh said...

Looks SOOOO awesome!
Meanwhile, I'm getting worried that all this Southern fun means you're not still NooYork bound in December?
I want my little piece of Raina and the Pea, damnit!!!

susieq said...

Awww... the kiddo photos are so cute! Wasn't that the best weekend? I can't wait until Raina-fest 2011! Yay!

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

Don't you agree that people in the south are super duper friendly? It's one reason I love living in Tn.

Paul Anater said...

That's so great that three of you get together the way you do. Blogging is the coolest club I never knew I was joining.

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

Okay, envious much? This looks and sounds like a real trip to paradise! And in such good company, too.
You've confirmed my suspicions about Pieces, btw.
But wait, don't promise the Pea off quite yet -- you've gotta add my guy to the list 'o suitors ; )
What a grand time -- great fun, great gals, great eats, gorgeous, supportive hubbies and incredible kids.
This has to be the highlight of design blogging, foh sho.
Here's to the next trip being to Houston, Alcira

thenerochronicles.blogspot.com

Alison said...

Sounds like a blast!It's so cool you've made such great friends through blogging. I'll be in Atlanta in January...and April...and July, so I can't wait to check out some of these places.

david john said...

wow! this looks out of control! so jealous, and so happy for you....

XXXX

Brandi said...

what an awesome weekend! Jenny sounds like such an amazing chef.

Acanthus and Acorn said...

I was trying to find that gorgous Menorah you showed recently and stumbled upon this post.

I had a ton of fun just reading your adventures!!!

Zingmaster said...

In the picture of the girls in matching shirts, what is that pink chair in the background? I have it in green sitting in my garage, and I've always been curious.

susieq said...

Zingmaster, that chair is actually orange. It's a circa 1980 parsons arm chair. Very comfy.

Yana said...

so jealous of this amazing trip!!! wow.