Recent Posts

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Presenting the most shallow shelf of literature

"Ideal Bookshelf 101: Robert Verdi" by Jane Mount.

And by "shallow" I mean the collection of literature not the depth of the plank of wood upon which they rest.

I met fashion stylist/TV personality Robert Verdi in 2002 before he was the sunglasses-on-the-forehead asshat you know today. He interrupted a showroom appointment I was in at the Los Angeles Apparel Mart. For those of you unfamiliar with a buyer's job, I will explain. Apparel markets happen five times a year. If you're a store owner or buyer, you make your appointments ahead of time and you keep them come hell or high water. It's incredibly rude not to.

It's also incredibly rude to break into another buyer's appointment. You are sitting there being shown collections for various ship dates and deciding how to spend thousands of dollars. It is your set time with your sales rep to discuss and plan. Another buyer can sit in, but this happens after the rep has asked your permission and usually only at the start of an appointment.

So imagine my surprise when an 8-foot-tall rather unattractive fellow barges into my appointment and demands to see the collection from the beginning. Even then he had some small semblance of celebrity (at least in Los Angeles), so the twit of a sales rep flitted over and gave him all of the attention he demanded. Leaving me with a half-written order which I promptly tore up. I never sat foot in her showroom again.

If you do nothing else today, avoid buying this ridiculous print from 20x200. There are enough people stroking this d-bag's overinflated ego.

23 comments:

Acanthus and Acorn said...

No surprise to me hearing this. I think if people knew the real behaviors of the micro-famous, they would be shocked!

Modern Country Lady said...

Hahahaha what an... mm I am too polite I guess - starts with an a!! and ends with an e.. God I would have killed him and the sales rep by the way !! yes he really is VERY intellectual..NOT...

Raina Cox said...

Acanthus and Acorn - "Micro-famous." BWAH HA HA HA HA! That's perfect.

Keri Batchelder Hoffman said...

I used to like him when he was on that first design show with that blonde chic but then over the years I've heard all these dbag stories. Then I saw him on RHONY and he was a total ASSHAT as you say. Seriously, who does he think he is?

KellyMellyBoBellyBananaFanna said...

HA! Good to know. Not that the print would have interested me, anyway...

But still good to know.

Kelly

Allison said...

These ideal bookshelf prints have always confused me... what's stopping people from buying the actual books? Why do they need a print? And why would we want his?

nkp said...

Touché!

Indeed, why would we want his?

Mrs Woog said...

He sounds like a cock head. He is on my list.

The Polished Pebble said...

Hi Raina, I have no idea who this twit is.... but clearly he is a twit!

You are such a fun read!

kelley

Sketch42 said...

I think that is the last piece of crap that I would ever buy.

The guy has never had any appeal to me.

Concrete Jungle said...

Haha great story lucky we've never heard of him !

Camilla @ Designalogue said...

Why do people take style advice from someone whose look is about sunglasses stuck to his melon?

hmmph. I just dont understand people.

Robin said...

How rude! I never liked him anyway.

Please tell me that the sales rep understood exactly what she lo$t and why/how. Like the scene in Pretty Woman where fancy Julia Roberts goes to the boutique where the salesgirl had previously ignored trashy Julia Roberts? "Big mistake!"

David said...

He makes me want to stop shaving my head.

my favorite and my best said...

it's dumb looking. i'd rather have the books.

Raina Cox said...

KellyMellyBoBellyBananaFanna - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness!

The Polished Pebble - Thanks much, m'dear.

Concrete Jungle - So nice to see you back, Dumpling.

Robin - I highly doubt that she cared.

lucitebox said...

I want that Rare Bird book about Iris Apfel. I don't want anything to do with the asshat who I've never heard of until today.

Check out Iris. She's exactly who I want to be when I become a woman of a certain age:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzf_WPqsmTM

Raina Cox said...

lucitebox - That book is not hard to come by as Senor Asshat stated in the 20X200 write-up. It's available and discounted at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/3x22euw

Jane K. Schott said...

I saw these books somewhere else and I was not impressed. But, of course, you had all the right words and story to go along with it. What an asshat indeed!

Brandi said...

Why would you buy pictures of books? Not books? I don't get it. I saw him on a subway in NYC with a sack of pillows once. Glad you stuck it to that rep. I hope she begged on her knees for you to buy from her again and you said N.O.!

erin@designcrisis said...

I wrote a mild critique of 20x200 on DC and Jen Beckman (who runs the show over there) was kind enough to leave a very nice comment defending their selection. I was feeling like an asshole until I saw this print...

WTF 20x200?!

Alexis L., The Studioist said...

Raina, I sense you are holding back. Please, share with the group how you really feel.

Alison said...

I've had some buyers blow off appointments. It makes me feel like I'm being stood up...sniffle. So sorry that happened to you. Not cool at all.