Recent Posts

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Decor based on sex books

The Nate Berkus Show makes me want to knock my head against something sharp.  I think the man is a great decorator, but he's more than a little stiff on screen.  He's been all over the place lately, methinks in an attempt to secure a second season.  His latest media look-at-me is a makeover of Dr. Ruth Westheimer's Manhattan home.  But they are so adorable together in the interview, I might just watch when the B&A airs Monday.

The "before" is typical of New Yorker apartment dweller of advanced age who's occupied the same spot for decades.  Lots of stuff, lots of mementos, lots of love everywhere.

The "after" is light, bright, livable and charming.  The hot pink accents were inspired by "two pink-jacketed antique volumes in German, which turned out to be precisely illustrated sex guides."  Wouldn't she be a kick to have as a grandmother?

Dr. Ruth had previously appeared on TNBS giving advice to a woman with bedroom furniture issues.  Afterwards the diminutive doc told Berkus "I want your advice, I can’t get rid of my books, and don’t tell me I have to get rid of everything and you can’t charge me."  Rock on with your bad self, Ruthie!

15 comments:

Karena said...

Raina,

As soon as I saw the words Dr Ruth I had to smile and her new decor is fab. Love the hot pink pillows AND their inspiration!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

The Polished Pebble said...

Hi Raina, I haven't stopped by in a while but as usual you are in tip top form.

I like Dr Ruth and her (Nate B's) pink accents are great. Your post on Sandra L was great too.

Always a pleasure and a chuckle!

xo kelley

erin@designcrisis said...

You know what, I don't really like the after (although the bookshelves are a HUGE improvement!!!). The rug is kinda boring, there are way too many pillows, and that hot pink satin makes me want to punch someone. It's so caricatured.

Sorry... not sure why I am feeling all kinds of angsty about this. I love Dr. Ruth and Nate Berkus is still a cutie, even if he might be (in the inimitable Jenny's words) a jerkus.

Jessica said...

she would be an awesome bubbe!! it seems from the article that she and Nate have that kind of sweetness happening between them and he has given her a wonderful gift - love!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

They are so cute together in that photo and I love how she's sporting a hot pink shirt!

Kristen said...

cute.

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

This makeover is fantastic. That Nate he is such a talent at decorating. I'm not fond of his show. I don't want him to be the next Oprah...I just want him to decorate. But yes...I think I need to tune in on Monday to see this.

Robin said...

I love the bookshelves and the furniture but I agree with Erin that the rug is boring.

Dr. Ruth spoke at one of my company's conferences a few years back. She was smart, funny, approachable and a great speaker. I'm so happy to see her back in the limelight a little.

Julie @ Chapman Interiors said...

It is a cute after.. not sure I'm dwon with the pink though?? Feels SO tweenish to me.

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

Oooh, Fresh....

Love the pinks and that adorably-styled coffee table.
Match made in niche tv-rating heaven if you ask me ;)
Cheers, Alcira

nerochronicles.com

The Down East Dilettante said...

that's a seriously good makeover. Nate Berkus can come to my house anytime.

nkp said...

I can't get past what a cute couple they make. Freakin' adorable.

Mr. Goodwill Hunting said...

Nate is my new friend...lol


Mr. Goodwill Hunting

Alexis L., The Studioist said...

This whole bit is adorable.

Sketch42 said...

I love what he did. LOVE. But the show is such a bore.