Recent Posts

Friday, March 25, 2011

Anthropologie wants you to play Decorator


Anthropologie's new For The Decorator service is now available at the chain's website and in-store.  Announced several weeks ago, FTD aims to sell more overwrought boho homegoods by encouraging the hobbyist decorator to unleash her inner Dorothy Draper online and at Anthro stores.


The in-store concept shops officially opened yesterday in 12 markets:  The concept shops will highlight Anthropologie's curtains, furniture, hardware, lighting, rugs, and wall coverings. In-store workshops will host design experts and special events, and product information and resources will be on hand for shoppers. The store sees these concept shops as a continuation of their focus on "product rivaling that ordinarily available only to the trade."


The online shop offers tips, "tools," and a glossary of decorating terms.  The tips are, not unsurprisingly, geared toward increasing the amount of your purchase.  Rug layering is encouraged as well as buying too-long (more expensive) curtains to hem to the perfect length.


A hardware widget is supposed to let you try different knobs on several furniture silhouettes.  Except the app doesn't work.  There were rumors of an online wallpaper calculator, but that's MIA.


The Mix-And-Match bedding configurator is a clever help for those who have trouble visualizing pattern play.


One of the more useful tools is the Glossary.  Curious as to the difference between "batik" and "ikat"?  The answers are here.

So will you be checking out the new Decorator concept?  Do you think it's helpful?

Anthropologie Announces New Decorator Concept Shops [Apartment Therapy]

12 comments:

nkp said...

Well, I'm not going to put it on my calendar, but if I'm in the vicinity I might check it out. I love Anthro furniture and furnishings, but they are often to over-priced for my not so deep pockets.

NK said...

I find that I like their individual items used very sparingly, especially where I live they still have a very unique and quirky feeling. I might give the online tool a try, but mainly to practice putting things together (I"m not designer over here, and it would be a good self-education tool to increase exposure to different things). Definitely not to make a shopping list. Their aesthetic is too boho for me anyway.

David said...

There's one next to my morning coffee shop, I might stop in, not so much for the tools, but in hopes they have that Decker Bookshelf in-store. As a boy I always feel like a bit of an interloper in there.

lil Me said...

"Anthropologie wants you to play Decorator":
OH NO!!! I just received your comment! Umm so I tried to quote this on my own blog and I guess it didnt work. I will remove mine if I cant get the quoted thing to work. I am sorry though, I would never intentiallysteal anything from you or anyone else for that matter ;) I ADORE your blog!!!

Eileen said...

I like the concept. It reminds me of how, years ago, you could go into Laura Ashley and work with their staff home consultants to put together fabrics and wallpaper. I think there's a gap in the market for entry-level design services, and that's one of the reasons so many decorators and bloggers are finding success with moodboards. That said, it seems like a poor fit for Anthro's brand. Anthro's more about mixing than matching so what the hi-dee-ho do I need online tools to coordinate things for? Also, I don't care how much patchoulie you burn-- nobody is boho enough to go full Anthro in their home unless you belong to the gypset glitterati, and in that case you'd be sourcing your goods direct from Morocco. This seems like an unwise brand extension to me-- Anthros are popping up all over the place and they're starting to look understocked while their merch is getting less special. I hope they aren't overreaching.

(Who knew I had such strong opinions about Anthro?!)

Interior Design Musings said...

Feeling like it will tank. But you never know. I may be the only person on the planet that thinks this, but when Anthro first came out, I thought it would tank. Their clothes reminded of a mismatched french girl, but who knew. That I have tons of the stuff in my closet. Will be interesting to watch. M.

hush said...

@Eileen - "nobody is boho enough to go full Anthro in their home unless you belong to the gypset glitterati, and in that case you'd be sourcing your goods direct from Morocco." Amen! You expressed that so perfectly.

@Interior Design Musings - I agree completely. The bizarre popularity of their unflattering, clunky-shoed, Big Bird-colored, overpriced garments totally baffles me!

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

Whoa, not to sound the cynic's knell, but I'm yawning already.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I do love me some Anthro-boho-a-go-go, but this is just tedious.
Those in need of a style compass already have a wealth of resources at their fingertips, not least of which is your mind-blowing blog.
Alcira

nerochronicles.com

Ruthie's Renewed Treasures said...

LOVE THOSE BOWLS!!!

Raina Cox said...

Ruthie's Renewed Treasures - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness!

Chic Coles said...

This could be really fun.

Jane Kilpatrick Schott said...

If anyone can do this with a twist it's these folks. This looks interesting.