Recent Posts

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Allegra Hicks for West Elm


Soooooooo... Allegra Hicks for West Elm. I had incredibly high hopes for this collabo - Hicks has that sophisticated abstracted nature thing down, and West Elm has really turned itself around in the past year offering a fresher more signature look. For this collection though, both parties took the safe way out. Beige, blue and gray colorways and ho-hum polite patterns.

While known for her subdued palette, Hicks does infuse her designs with moss-y chartreuses, rich vermillions, deep plums and fleshy pinks. Fingers crossed there will be a second shot at it in the fall with more engaging colors and patterns.


At Home with Allegra [West Elm]
Allegra Hicks for West Elm [Elle Decor]
Allegra Hicks [official site]

13 comments:

eileen said...

I'm a huge fan of West Elm. I think their current merchandise is more interesting and original than what many other big box retailers are offering right now, and this line is no exception. It's very pretty in West Elm's usual way, but I don't feel like it makes Allegra Hicks accessible to me. It's the West Elm-ing of Allegra instead of the Allegra-ing of West Elm. (Okay, I may even lost myself a bit on that one.)

Raina Cox said...

eileen - I get what you're saying and completely agree.

Jimmy The Undercover Designer said...

Actually I liked the collection. Kinda.
The safe thing I thought was the chairs, besides the ones you featured here they were all reruns of older tried and tested designs.

sanctuaryhome said...

Yawn....perhaps some of the pillows will be better in person and the harlequin jute rug looks sort of good.

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

Meh not crazy about it. Too soft.

Raina Cox said...

Jimmy - I'd love to see WE have Allegra Hicks for fall/winter collections and India Hicks for spring/summer.

Jessie said...

There's nothing wrong with this collection but I personally prefer bolder and stronger patterns.

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Kate said...

Its a bit 'generic'. It doesn't strike me as being a range that's strikingly different from much of the other stuff out there.
Will people buy just for the name alone?

Modern Country Lady said...

A disappointing fail.Love Allegra Hicks, she can do much much better than this!!

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

Snorefest 2011.

Bromeliad said...

Yeah, I'm with you. Snooze.

Julie @ Chapman Interiors said...

bleh, safe.

Erin said...

Candice Olson as interpreted by Allegra Hicks as interpreted by West Elm.