Recent Posts

Sunday, July 3, 2011

House of Windsor show house debuts

 Kathryn Ireland's stables (Ireland not pictured.)

Who doesn't love a good decorator show house? This weekend in Los Angeles, Veranda magazine is throwing open the doors of its first ever "concept" house. The brainchild of self-described "lifestyle architect" Windsor Smith, the newly-built home in Mandeville Canyon north of Brentwood features the work of several big name West Coast designers, including Kathryn Ireland and Martyn Lawrence-Bullard of Million Dollar Decorators fame.

The house is meant to "respond—through architecture, design and intent—to the demands of the modern family," but really it's a chance for everyone involved to raise their profile, throw a few shekels to charity and have a good time. You know, every show house's true raison d'ĂȘtre.

 Martyn Lawrence-Bullard shows restraint.

Never one to do things by halves, Martyn Lawrence-Bullard channeled Halston and Studio 54 for his teen hangout/man cave. The walls are upholstered in Bullard's own "Majorelle" fabric, the one that made Ross retch in the first episode of MDD. Bullard also used the work of his favorite herpetology photographer, Guido Mocafico (see MLB's work for Elton John and Tamara Mellon).

 Dunham and MLB got a deal on paint.

Not to be outdone, MDD's uncredited sixth cast member Peter Dunham also decided to go with walls of his own fabric design. And lest you doubt this is a Glamourous space with a capital "G" and two "u"s, Dunham included a photo of Jackie O above the desk.

 Windsor Smith called dibs on the kitchen and the entry hall.

The kitchen is a polite homage to all things Restoration Hardware. Are we done with open shelves yet?

The enormous entry hall bisects the house.

 The tiniest sneak peek of Richard Shapiro's great room.

 Richard Hallberg's dining room is very Cote de Joni.

The master bath's lounge area (no, seriously) as imagined by Candace Barnes.

MDD's lovable lush Kathryn Ireland was given the stables to decorate. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, she decided to make hay while the sun shone and had custom horse blankets made of her signature fabrics (see first photo).

The House of Windsor is open to the public July 1-17 with special events including lectures, tequila tastings, and Ireland hawking signing copies of her new book Summers in France. The show house won't be featured in print until the October issue of Veranda, but the scrumptious floor plan is available online for your bits-twiddling pleasure.

Veranda Unveils The House of Windsor [official site]
Veranda 'House of Windsor' opens for tours in L.A. [Los Angeles Times]
Martyn Lawrence-Bullard Designs, fabrics [official site]
Episode One: The Osbournes, Divorce, and Snotty Guacamole [Curbed National]
Cote de Texas [official site]

27 comments:

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

Wow, there's actually lots to love here -- and oh that Martyn, I adore the way that candy plays a key role in every room he touches ;)
That marble farmhouse sink in the kitchen is the stuff of Greek myth too.
As for that dodgy bath lounge, I'd worry about getting things sopping wet but I'm glad to see that ivory leather hasn't left the designosphere for good, as that's what we've been rocking for the past 6 years here in the living room at Villa Nero.
Cheers and thanks for sharing the wealth, Alcira

nerochronicles.com

La Maison Boheme said...

I really love all the kelly green accents.

The Fine Life said...

Lovely entry and lust worthy horse. I would have to see the rest in person, except for MLB's solo room. I need to keep my ocular system intact. Ross was right about the fabric, it could be tolerated in small doses, but if I never see him and JAM in the tub again I will die happy. They can argue all they want in the rest of the house, but whining and bathing do not mix. The bathtub is my sacred space. No bitching allowed!

Paul Anater said...

Is Martyn Lawrence-Bullard playing some kind of a joke on a gullible public? I think so. The power of suggestion, especially when those suggestions are coming from the mouth of a narcissist, are difficult to resist. Even so, that room of his is an unsettling nightmare.

Modern Country Lady said...

just goes to show the best place in a good house is normally *whinney* .. the stables.. oh- and Shapiro's room I could live with .
like another Shapiro said it so well "walking back to happiness..o yeah- yeah "

Jimmy The Undercover Designer said...

The master bath lounge? I like the idea of it. Plus it is the easiest one on the eye.

David said...

I don't know why Ross hated MLB's fabric so much. I love it on the walls here, though I would have left the ceiling blank for a visual rest. I'm also digging the green chair and black woodwork. He's not my favorite on the show but I like this room a lot.

I'm totally with you on the kitchen though. It doesn't look like a space thats going to work for anyone who really uses their kitchen.

Daydreamer said...

i just can't get past MLB's room and the only thing that comes to mind is how it's an asthmatic's nightmare.
Love the green desk.

eileen @ happyhorsesh-t said...

That's some seriously good writing, Raina. Great post--I loved every weel-crafted word!

meenal@maison marigold said...

That green desk is beautiful.. I love it when you say it like it is... which is the case 'always'!! Hope you are having a beautiful weekend..xx meenal

Hollywood forever, Kevin said...

Tell it, like it is, sister!!!

Jeannine @ Small and Chic said...

I love this entire post!

I'm curious about people's opinion about how long open shelving will stay around.

Appletree said...

Ireland not pictured. bwaahaha

forget about the house, this post is so well written I barely looked at the photos.

A.J.Barnes said...

The MLB room makes me retch also...It and the Durham room just don't seem to fit that house...but there's a lot to like in the rest of the house...

Oh...and that first pic does favor KI just a tab! But, I give her credit for tackling a stable...

The Fine Life said...

I just got a chance to look at MLB's work for "Sir" Elton John and Tamara Mellon (I stopped getting AD a while back.), and I have to ask: What's with the repetition of the snake photos and the neon art in both apartments? Whose house it it, his or theirs?

Squeak said...

Martyn Lawrence-Bullard's room is hideous and Peter Dunham's is only marginally better. The others are drop-dead gorgeous.

However, I'm wondering about all the sofas I'm seeing in every room in houses these days. I mean, how many living rooms does a house need? There are sofas in entry halls, great rooms, dining rooms, lounges, bathrooms - what's up with that? Do people really walk from room to room sitting in all their sofas (okay kids, lets go sit in the hallway now!) or is just all for show? I don't know about the rest of your readers, but I can barely afford one sofa, let alone seven or eight!

Andrea Reh said...

Thank you for introducing me to this house! It's incredible!

Just discovered your blog through Blue Fruit - would love it if you stopped by mine sometime.

Andrea x
andreareh.blogspot.com

ChrisToronto said...

I love sticking myself to a leather sofa when I'm fresh from the bath.

The Down East Dilettante said...

Well, I'll be danged. I don't hate most of it at all. In fact, I'm quite taken with some of it

You heard it here.

Raina Cox said...

Andrea Reh - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness!

Erin said...

MLB's room is seizure inducing and I want to burn those hideous wooden chairs pulled up to that skirted table, but I like the rest. Some of it a lot.

ModernSauce said...

I'm not ashamed to say that I covet a Mocafico print but hopefully I could manage to pull it off in a way that doesn't make my guests want to vomit.

There seems to be a whole bunch of mess going on here but maybe I'm just cranky because my morning does of design dolls hasn't kicked in yet.

Acanthus and Acorn said...

I like the stable best, even if KI is not in the pic ;) The kitchen and foyer are certainly nice and tasteful. The rest gives me a serious headache. Good thing real people don't have to live in showhouse rooms. I would have like to seen more of the Shapiro space.

Julie @ Chapman Interiors said...

Hmmm.

#unimpressed.

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

It looks at least 10x better than Kips Bay to me. That kitchen sink is hauntingly good.

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

I dig the kitchen, is that bad? But I still like open shelving much easier then upper cabinets for us shorties.

Lounging area in the bathroom, perhaps useful when one has diarrhea and leaving the bathroom is dangerous.

Alexis L. said...

"The kitchen is a polite homage to all things Restoration Hardware. Are we done with open shelves yet?"

Devastating. This is why I love your insights; just so spot-on. You can even indict my own taste and I still get how incisive and insightful you are. I mean, I love marble and open shelves. But as an anecdote to absolute black granite and stainless steel everything and tons of cupboards it's gotten over-exposed. Every kitchen done this year looks. like. this. kitchen. And the appeal has been ruined. I adore you for articulating that.