Recent Posts

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A socialite zombie rises

Joshua Bright for The New York Times.

Tinsley Mortimer, she of the award show curls and Olympic medal in social climbing, is "quietly" staging a "comeback." After separating from her well-connected hedge funder husband in 2009, Mortimer filmed a purulent reality show that showcased a life so shallow and irrelevant it made Kim Kardashian look like Kofi Annan.

Not content to fade into the boiserie, Mortimer is jumping onto the branding bandwagon and has "quietly enlisted agents, a manager and a publicist to advise her on her career, shore up her image and engineer her comeback." She has a novel entitled "Southern Charm" due out in May and designs a line of handbags sold in Japan. Her plans beyond that are a bit amorphous.

So why am I writing about Upper East Side Barbie? In today's New York Times article announcing Mortimer's return to the American consciousness, a photo of her new Garment District digs (above) appears. It seems Our Lady of Perpetual Poofy Skirt hightailed it out of her former swanky marital apartment (below) with everything including the curtains. Dumplings, do the blue blood furnishings work in the industrial loft?

Douglas Friedman for Harper's Bazaar.

The Return of Tinsley Mortimer, Branding Irons in Hand [The New York Times]
Blonde Ambition [Harper's Bazaar]

12 comments:

Appletree said...

wheeeeee! So glad you are back.

littlebadwolf said...

tinsley the garmenta?

Chedva @Rooms and Words said...

I can't stand her.

Anne At Large said...

I couldn't figure out why these rooms looked so odd to me, interesting to know it's because everything was pulled from somewhere else.

Also, I will admit I had to look up "purulent" and now I need to use that word much more. Sadly I don't know Ms. Mortimer personally or I'd use it to her face.

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

Generally, I find, that the beauty of blue blood furnishings is that they work just about everywhere, with a little thought and creativity.
Now it may just be the latter two that were missing from this equation.
Cheers, Alcira

Nerochronicles.blogspot.com

Squeak said...

Tinsley? Is that really her name? Then she was destined for shallowness and irrelevance from the moment she was born.

Chimmy said...

my advice to ms. mortimer comeback aspirations... drop a sex tape honey. it might be old school but it has done many a reality starlet well.

wellfedfred said...

or it may be that "blue blood" isn't really applicable to someone who buys her furniture and of course to the furniture.

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

Oh man, I may need to print out Alcira's comment and tape it to my wall. Hilarious.

Margaret said...

Is, "Southern Charm" replacing, "50 Shades of Grey?" I like books. I like to read. I like watching TV like a genteel blue blooded lady.

The Down East Dilettante said...

What Alcira said. Absolutely.

Raina Cox said...

Alcira - I laughed out LOUD at that.

Naomi and Dilly - I'm convinced I have the smartest, wittiest and best-looking commenters in all the blogosphere.