Recent Posts

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bronson Pinchot for Restoration Hardware


DISCLAIMER: THIS POST IS SATIRE. (This note requested by the humorless folks at Restoration Hardware.)

Restoration Hardware today introduced its first celebrity collaboration, the Versailles sofa from Bronson Pinchot. Best known as "The Foreigner" in every single movie from the 1980s and early 1990s, the actor and hobby preservationist recently wrapped his DIY Network series "The Bronson Pinchot Project."



Crafted of the finest Venetian plaster and hand-antiqued by cloistered nuns in Cluny, France, the Versailles sofa is the culmination of Pinchot's years of Classical collecting and pastiche play. This one-off masterpiece is available by special order for $22,700.


*Actually, this dropped in my inbox early this morning from Boca do Lobo Design Studio, another aesthetically-challenged Portuguese furniture house. It debuts today at the Salone del Mobile in Milan and really does cost as much as a used Prius.

23 comments:

Elisa @ What the Vita said...

My reaction: http://whatshouldwecallme.tumblr.com/post/21233378001/when-i-get-a-friend-request-from-an-older-relative

Raina Cox said...

Elisa - HA! I love that blog.

court. said...

"opulence? I has it."

David said...

Dreadful. All I got.

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

Oh my, I do hope Restoration Hardware quits while it's still on top.
This is far too reminiscent of Rodin's "Gates of Hell" and would surely give guests nightmares.
Alcira

nerochronicles.com

Margaret said...

Okay, so all I can picture is a personal collision, resulting in a plaster cast on toe, foot, wrist or (c)ankle. Forget getting busy on it, and dusting its faux bust becomes downright kinky. How do the nuns do it?

life, in small chunks said...

Oh I get it...no, wait. April Fools Day was a couple of weeks ago. So. Hmmm. I don't know. Fugly is right, though.

Rose said...

WHY?

Raina Cox said...

Rose - What gets me is not that someone designed it, but that a higher-up okayed it for production.

xoxo said...

Is this really Resto? If so, I think Gary Friedman's pants have become so tight they are cutting off circulation to his brain.

laney said...

...the emperor has a twin brother...and he is naked too...

Raina Cox said...

xoxo - It's not. The sofa is from a Portuguese company known for outlandish furniture creations.

But it wouldn't be a big leap for ole Gary, would it?

hush said...

Mausoleum Chic?

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

That is just about the ugliest thing I have ever seen. What is up with Restoration Hardware? Super bad.

littlebadwolf said...

aye, something is rotten in portugal

smiffy said...

Just so comically tacky. It's like a paraody of bad design. It's that bad.

The Pink Pagoda said...

I want to know how many they sell and who buys them.

Michele from Boston said...

After just finally throwing their humungous catalogue in my recycling bin and after seeing their "deconstructed" furniture line, I was beginning to think someone at RH has a crack habit. Now I'm sure of it!

Interior Design Musings said...

And talk about a total waste of trees - that catalog (sent to me without any request!) was an enormous waste of time. And now this. Simply unbelievable. I can't even believe it's true - it's that over the top. M.

daydream believer said...

Marcus Aggripa is rolling in his tomb.

maison21 said...

i actually love lots of things by boca de lobo, though this sofa wouldn't be one of them.

ilovemrandmrs said...

Okay, so when does RH PR team demand that the public forgo our right to freedom of speech? Hilarious. I am an ardent RH fan but some of their designs lately have been so ostentatious they deserve to be mocked. I'm surprised they didn't try to sweet talk the heck out of you and send their half-upholstered chair to you!

Margaret said...

Great! Since this post is now considered 'satire' my thesis paper must be redone! Thanks, RH!