Recent Posts

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Justin Timberlake is bringing sexy back to home decorating


Singer/actor/Britney Spears deflower Justin Timberlake has a home line coming out. Or rather he has a flash sale site selling home goods debuting. Or possibly he's just lent his name to some crackpot project his decorator has cooked up. Yeah, let's go with that last one.


Timberlake and his model-looking interior designer Estee (really?) Stanley have announced a collaboration with a flash sale site I've never heard of to create sell decorative doodads. HomeMint is the newest venture from e-tailer BeachMint, who pairs celebrities with industry insiders for instant US Weekly cachet - Jessica Simpson reps the beauty site and The Olsen Twins the fashion one.

 
HomeMint's items will be "curated" and (even bigger quotation marks) "designed" by Timberlake and Stanley and include many pieces from the upscale NYC boho home boutique Canvas (they of the recent Jason Wu furniture collabo). "The collection will be available exclusively online at HomeMint.com, to members—who pay a monthly fee of $10 to enjoy discounts and early access to new products—and nonmembers alike." You can still purchase from the site even if you don't join, but you won't enjoy the member discount.


Now I'm not going to call the whole thing a scam, but the star-print dinner plate featured in the second photo above will be sold on HomeMint for $55 a pair to non-members and $40/2 to members. You can find the exact same plate on Canvas' website for the HomeMint member price. Apparently the Justin Timberlake burnish carries a 20% surcharge. So if you're inclined to overpay for a drippy butterfly print hand-selected by a former member of 'N Sync, your day has come!

Photos: 1. Peggy Sirota, 2-4. Courtesy of HomeMint.

HomeMint [official site]

12 comments:

My Interior Life said...

Okay, this is almost too bizarre to comment on, but I'll try. I've actually always liked Justin Timberlake as we're from the same hometown (Memphis), and I even have a six-degree of separation thing going on (I used to work in PR for the hospital his father and grandmother worked in and met theme both). But I digress, I have a problem paying $10 a month for a discount on something I may or may not want. I prefer the usual mark-ups on sites like OKL or Joss & Main - at least they're free to join.

My Interior Life said...

Sorry, meant "them" not "theme" - need to proofread better.

Raina Cox said...

My Interior Life - Isn't it irritating Blogger doesn't offer editing in comments?

Gawker and NY Mag have an "edit" button which is a lifesaver given my lack of typing skills.

Lausi said...

May *I* call it a SCAM then? ;)

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

Hmmmmm I was expecting this to end up in the shelves of Sears or Kmart. Has there ever been any pictures of his homes? I really want to see what his interior designer can do.

I think he's hot! Mostly because he bares a small resemblance to my hubo. Plus they are both from TN.

Okay you can laugh at me now.

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

Ha!!! I heard this this morning on NPR and was curious and intrigued. Thanks for posting -- the merch looks pretty propah, despite the apparent price rigging.
Cheers, Alcira

nerochronicles.com

Raina Cox said...

Bri - This is the only info I could find:

http://tinyurl.com/7yrhm3l

Looks pretty bland.

Jeannine @ Small and Chic said...

Ugh. Not another Mint site! I've been getting the student ShoeMint emails for months and the others have started to come, too. So annoying!

court. said...

hey "senioritas", "cry me a river"! These prices are totally "justified" seeings as JT's has ensured "Nothin Else" but the best of decor that's "Right for Me." Let's just "Take it from here" and "Never Again" mention that while this concept is a complete rip off, he really looks amazing in that little Omletteville costume.

(this comment was made entirely from JT song titles. That will be $10, please)

Raina Cox said...

court. - #CommentOfTheDay

Margaret said...

I pay Raina $30 per month in order to post my awkward "ITLSF" comments. It would be $25 if I were actually friends with her.

littlebadwolf said...

i'm not planning that kind of funeral or mausoleum, so i won't be in need
of so casketorial a sofa, or those star-crossed plates for the afterlife. but thanks a bunch anyway.