Recent Posts

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Nate Berkus Collection for Target

 A preview of the Nate Berkus for Target collection.

The Twitterverse came alive last night (at least for those of us obsessed with design) with news of Target's announcement of Nate Berkus as its next home collection designer. A native of Minneapolis, where Target's headquarters are located, the Oprah-christened decorator has created "the Nate Berkus Collection [with] more than 150 home products painstakingly designed by Berkus himself, including bedding, bath, accessories, lighting, rugs and window treatments."

This is no guest collection but a multi-year partnership with Berkus serving as Target's in-house designer for home goods. "[I]t comes just after Target ended its groundbreaking 13-year relationship with the architect Michael Graves, who designed housewares for the retailer ranging from kitchen mops to can openers."

Berkus has also "designed goods for the Home Shopping Network and the now-defunct big-box store Linens 'N Things, has authored a book on design, hosted a television show, and was an executive producer of the 2011 film 'The Help.'" Did you know about that last bit? I didn't.

So what say you, Dumplings? Is this a good move for Target? An even better move for Berkus?

Thanks to my girl, Jamie, for the early morning text tip-off!
 

15 comments:

sanctuaryhome said...

Looks kinda good from the pieces you featured. Those hammered brass bowls are intriguing. I think it is a good move for Target. Not sure how I feel about it for Nate.

Raina Cox said...

sanctuaryhome - I think Nate was looking for a consistent revenue stream since his show was cancelled. I don't know that he wants to go back to playing decorator for rich housewives now that he's a "media star." Have you noticed how much he's been trying to up the profiles of the two head designers at his Chicago office?

Margaret said...

Nate impresses me as a person who is not afraid to promote other talented designers. I like his ability to create tasteful design that is within a reasonable budget, and would wager his Target line will not be on the "clearance aisle" on a regular basis. I'll bite.

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

I use you to love Thomas O'brian's target collection. Not sure if he is a guest or not since his items are still being sold in stores. I might compare Nate's line to his in that they are both masculine, which I like. I'm excited he will stick around.

hush said...

"The Help" - now I'm impressed.

Very good (financial) move for both parties.

Jessie said...

Not sure if it's a good move for Nate but it is sure a good move for Target. Pretty excited about this collaboration, love the fab brass bowls. Looking forward to see more!

Thanks for the heads up, Raina!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

David said...

I like a number of the Thomas O'Brien products, so I'm hopeful for Nate.

What I'd really like is if Target would put out one last gasp of Michael Graves clothes hangers. The shirt and suit hangers are terrific and they haven't been in any of our Targets for ages.

Raina Cox said...

Bri and David - I have Thomas O'Brien for Target dishes I use every day. A beautiful pattern and they're sturdy as hell.

Chimmy said...

From the looks of what you've posted, so far so good. I'm cautiously ecstatic for me and wish Target and Nate a happy union.

My Interior Life said...

Nate is definitely a brand unto himself now, so it can only be a good thing for him and Target, I would think. Of course, I'm not known for my business acumen so what the hell do I know? I've always liked his style, though. I have one of his little flat-weave chevron rugs from HSN, and it's served me well. Can't wait to see what the goods will look like at Target.

A Bit of Sass said...

The gold bowls are awesome!
xo
www.abitofsass.blogspot.com

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

It will be interesting to see what the Berk rustles up for Tarjay.
I bought a couple of his pieces last year in anticipation of fleshing out our place in Egypt and though I love his sophisticated ethnic/global style, I often find HSN's prices high vis-a-vis the quality of the merch.
Looking forward to checking this out, though judging from the former flash collaboration sales, the shelves at Target will be decimated long before I touch an inch of ikat.
Cheers, Alcira

nerochronicles.com

Nataliya said...

I'm excited. Even more so because finally FINALLY Target is coming to Canada :)

snarkyleo said...

Boring. Seen it before. You are right on about Nate

SHERRY HART said...

I'm in Nate.....bring it! I remember his collection for Linens and Things.....I admit I liked it. There I said it.