Recent Posts

Monday, May 14, 2012

Natural swimming pools


After two and a half months of unseasonably warm weather, I am ready to swim. Though I take to water like a fish, I have a deep-seated aversion to full immersion in ponds, lakes and the ocean. The thought of bumping into a living something I can't hold a conversation with spooks the hell out of me.

But the look of a natural body of water meant for Homo sapiens to swim in intrigues me. Enter the "natural" swimming pool. Conceived in Europe as an alternative to chlorine-filled cement watering holes, the natural pool relies on a plant-based mini-ecosystem to regulate water's proper balance. In fact, the water in a properly maintained natural pool is potable and eliminates the need for an after-swim shower. Natural pools, or "swimming ponds" as they're known in the Lands of Hairy Lady Legs, cost slightly more to install but far less to maintain than standard pools.

So what say you, Dumplings? Would you be open to a natural swimming pool or do you require a chlorine dip to feel hygienic?







Photos: 1. Nuevo Estilo, 2. Office for Word and Image, 3. Coté Maison, 4. 4US2BE blog, 5. Archithings blog, 6. Mother Nature Network blog.

10 comments:

hush said...

I am totally intrigued. Also trying to get past my unshakeable impression of "Oh, they've clearly just experienced a major flood" each time I look at these pictures.

Kathy said...

I like the look...and the whole idea of it...but crazy thoughts of "one cut and then my body will be invaded by flesh eating bacteria" .............I don't think so.....k

The Down East Dilettante said...

yes

Jessie said...

I have the exact same thoughts with Kathy. While the idea sounds cool theoretically, I can't shake off the ideas of flesh eating bacteria lurking inside the pond. Overall, not a fan. Give me a chlorine-filled pool and I will be a happy camper. :)

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Lexy said...

All kinds of gorgeous, and if you had the space, it would be a no brainer.

(And excuse me for being a nosy pest, but how did your bathroom remodel go? I remember you choosing gorgeous wallpaper and penny tile awhile ago XD)

Modern Country Lady said...

chloride please !!

5th and State said...

au naturale please

Appletree said...

I'm in love. The thought of all those chemicals is far more scary to me than a little natural bacteria. I need one yesterday.

Mrs BC said...

Yes, please! I love it. Also, I would love not to pay upkeep on a pool. Also, I would love for my children's skin to not be irritated by chlorine.
x

Petra Voegtle said...

YES YES YES Raina! Would be the only way to have a pool at all!