Recent Posts

Thursday, May 31, 2012

White people problems - bedding edition


Can you believe it's been 18 months since we've had a proper WPP post?! A shanda!

This morning Apartment Therapy served up a "Good Questions" (which they really should rename "White People Problems") worthy of (a brief and snarky) discussion.

Alissa is vexed: "I recently moved into a new apartment, which always means new bedding! [YAY, Alissa!!] I'm living in a studio apartment with hardwood floors and all white walls... a completely blank slate. I fell in love with this Coral Trina Turk Lattice duvet cover, but now I'm having trouble finding sheets to match."

What Alissa really wants is complementary navy sheets but she can only find solids or geometric prints, the latter of which she believes will clash. Setting aside the fact that Alissa's bedding ensemble is more David Hicks than it is Moroccan, I was able to find four possibilities before any replies were even posted to the thread:

 Steve Madden's "Sanibel" collection.

 John Robshaw's "Sag Harbor" and "Bundi Indigo" collections.
(Technically, these patterns are Indian in origin, but for some reason 
I don't think Alissa will know the difference.)


Vera Wang's "Shibori" collection.
(Again, this pattern is actually Japanese, but ... see above comment.)

Hopefully, Alissa will find her way to this post and save herself from the heartache of option 2 - hand stamping plain sheets with this:

 

16 comments:

Squeak said...

White people problems indeed. I wish I had Alissa's problems. And where did she get the idea that moving into a new place means she has to buy new bedding? That doesn't make any sense.

The Pink Pagoda said...

I'm guessing you've seen the SNL sketch White People's Problems. I'm glad there's you to call BS on the BS and in an amusing way.

sherry said...

WPP=genius! Raina, you are a design blog queen. Keep posting, I really do appreciate the laughs I get on your site these days. I'm headed over to AT to check out the commenters trying to one up each other with their very sincere bad taste packed "helpful suggestions"... I'm going to try reading three, don't know if I'll be able to stomach it...

redbrickbuilding said...

Oh wow: I love the shibori sheets (well, the pattern on the duvet cover and standerd shams). Thanks for pointing the way.

Kristen said...

haaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

life is so tough!

Camilla @ Designalogue said...

A perfect example of why we heart you R!
xx

maison21 said...

love this post, and all your selections, but m21 is a purist: in our admittedly very opinionated opinion, duvets and shams may be colorful and patterned, but sheets should always be white as the driven snow. (as should towels and china, but that's a cranky comment for a different white people problem's post).

white will work with coral perfectly, and she can bring in an indigo patterned pillow or two from one of your inspired choices for a navy accent to shake things up.

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

I don't know, it might be kinda fun to see her have a go at it with the stamper thing

David said...

I'm digging the shibori sheets.

I actually know a number of shibori techniques, if you ever want to come to KC and have craft day in my back yard.

hush said...

"(Technically, these patterns are Indian in origin, but for some reason I don't think Alissa will know the difference.)"

Snarkety snark snark! I love you.

gigiofca said...

Bursting into laughter at 2:12am. Thanks for that.

The Down East Dilettante said...

'...more David Hicks than Moroccan.'

Tee hee

Margaret said...

White sheets + WPP = one for the history books, but I digress. I agree with m21, that crisp, white sheets are the bomb. And, I do recall being focused on getting new sheets for my first efficiency, as the bed was the centerpiece (in many ways). Gasp!

Morocco-inspired sheets are crazy good, BTW.

ita darling. said...

i recently discovered (and have been recently contemplating) the bedding line from echo (http://www.echodesign.com/shop/for-home/bedding/)..

have you seen this Ms. Raina?

Raina Cox said...

ita darling. - I am familiar with that line. Very reasonable priced for a higher end look. The "Bansuri" looks a lot like my current master bedding. I do love me an ikat.

SHERRY HART said...

Hardy har har......could there be a bigger problem in life? I mean really.....When people ask me stupid questions like that I just want to scream "NEXT" out loud.