Recent Posts

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Singer Michael Stipe lists Soho duplex


Perpetual bitchface sporter Michael Stipe has just listed his Soho duplex penthouse for $10.95 million. The former R.E.M. lead singer, whose dour mug has been traced back as the source of all 1990s alternative music angst, bought the property in 2007 from the Lesser Affleck, Casey. After an extensive renovation, Stipe has decided he needs separate living and studio spaces. He is now a bronze sculptor of 1970s technological ephemera - cassette tapes and Polaroid cameras affect Stipe deeply. Additional factoid: the kitchen was designed by star chef and entitled Hollywood princess cooking mentor Mario Batali.







Photos by Rayon Richards for The Wall Street Journal.

Time for an Alternative After R.E.M. [The Wall Street Journal]
533 Canal Street, Apt PH [Corcoran Group]

5 comments:

David said...

She's a sad tomato...

Lyrics aside, I kind of like the apartment. I really like your description of Mario Batali.

A Bit of Sass said...

LOL on "perpetual bitchface sporter"...I'm stealing that term
xo,
Chelsea

Raina Cox said...

David - I really like the apartment. While everyone talks about "industrial chic," this is what it's supposed to look like.

I'd like to start a Tumblr called "Michael Stipe Smiles," but it would only be three entries long.

liza said...

I love this place. And thank you for the laugh!

sherri said...

I have a few good stipe stories from living in athens back in the day. I still love real estate, but this one is making me feel as if I'm "losing my erection."