Recent Posts

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Steven Gambrel's temporary digs


When color master Steven Gambrel found himself between homes last year, he temporarily relocated to a space above his West Village, NYC offices. The 800-square-foot apartment was reimagined as gentleman's pied-à-terre in rich neutrals with the designer's "favorite pieces from his previous home and storage space." Gambrel's vision for the space was one of collection rather than decoration: "I wanted to create a refined-yet-rugged environment, where all the materials are honest, humble, and authentic."
 



Photos: Eric Piasecki for New York magazine.

A West Village Pied-à-Terre [New York magazine Design Hunting blog]
S.R. Gambrel, Inc. [official site]

10 comments:

Margaret said...

Okay, fine, I'll stay the weekend.

An Urban Cottage said...

I especially love the living room.

A Perfect Gray said...

I could eat that kitchen.

David said...

Envious. I've always found "temporary" involved stacks of boxes and only one or two places to sit.

I bought his book when it came out. I think if I could ever hire someone to do a place for me it would be him.

Raina Cox said...

David - I don't think Gambrel receives enough swoonery. Everyone goes Lady GaGa for whatever Miles Redd does (and rightly so), but damn if Gambrel isn't talented twelve ways from Sunday.

Design Junkie said...

He's one of my favorites! I love how he does pretty. And smart.

YHBHS said...

gorgeous on so many levels..

The Down East Dilettante said...

Please, can these be my permanent digs? And Mr. Gambrel, if you aren't keeping the rugs, I'll gladly take them...

The Down East Dilettante said...

I didn't read the comments before typing my own---so I just want to add, What Raina Said. (his old Sag Harbor house is the way my old New England house wants to look--but doesn't)

Suzy said...

TDF! His temporary digs are better than my permanent digs!