Recent Posts

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Denver area house named one of America's ugliest


The Sculptured House, or the "Sleeper" House as it's better known, recently made Forbes list of America's Ugliest Mansions. Designed by architect Charles Deaton and built in 1963, the house was famously featured in Woody Allen's 1973 film Sleeper. The house sat empty for over 30 years until being purchased in 1999 by a Colorado internet millionaire who restored it with the help of Deaton's daughter Charlee, an interior designer. It was sold again in 2006 to a man who eventually fell behind on payments. In 2010, the house sold at foreclosure auction for $1.5 million. After a legal squabble to evict the recalcitrant owner, the house changed hands again in 2011 with its new owners vowing to make it more energy efficient.

 Interiors, circa 2009.

 *shudder*


So why my interest in this other than the local real estate gossip value? This is the mountain where we had a house under contract this summer. We will list the Barbie Dream House again in the spring and hope to make it back up the mountain next year. It's glorious, isn't it?

Photos: 1. Trulia, 3-4. via Examiner

12 comments:

Heather Moore Grahling | Vivid Hue Home said...

wow, so you would be neighbors with the "ugliest house in denver?"

Heather Moore Grahling | Vivid Hue Home said...

oh...btw, the view is BREATH-TAKING!!!!!

Raina Cox said...

Heather - Yup, we would have. And you know I would have been trying to borrow a cup of sugar two hours after moving in. I've love to see that house in person!

maison21 said...

i can name ten gazillion waaaaaaaaaay uglier faux 'french' or 'tuscan' mcmansions within a 25 mile radius of my house in southern califonia.

personally, i think the sleeper house is fabulous, and would love to have a go at redecorating it. when you are neighbors, slip them my name, k?

Camilla @ Designalogue said...

THE ugliest - really?
I kinda like it!

And that view - wow! If you make it up the hill Im coming to visit!
And by the way - how ever did you hot bathroom turn out?! tell me things!

Kristen said...

I think it's pretty cool... the first picture of the interior decor is pretty funny... what's up with the 300 chairs scattered about?

jtc said...

I think that house is fabulous!

David said...

I'm with Christian. I like this house, faux Mediterranean bothers me WAY more.

It may not be everyone's taste but the architecture is honest and its beautifully (amazingly) sited.

Matters of Style said...

It could be awesome with christian's fab touch! I kind of love it. And agree- wayyyy better than all that Tuscan crap.

YHBHS said...

Loving that house! does that mean I'm ugly too? :)))

X

Raina Cox said...

maison21 - Will do!

Camilla - Triple M, I just emailed you some photos.

Kristen - The decor photos are from the time the foreclosed upon owner lived there. He had a reputation for throwing extravagant parties for "charity." I think the neighbors are relived he was booted out.

David - It amazes me that it was conceived and built here in the early 1960s. Denver was still a cowtown then.

YHBHS - David John, if lovin' that house is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Becky McElrath said...

I grew up nearby in Evergreen. When my brother and I were kids we always referred to it as the "flying saucer house". Now that I think about it, it's really more like a half of a flying saucer.