Recent Posts

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

On Big Rock Candy Mountain - Part I

Oh mah Lu-hord! It's been a trying few weeks at Casa de Cox. Despite my best efforts to wrap things up with a pretty bow, there have been some major cock-ups with a design client's project. While my usual title is Lifestyle Concierge, lately it's been The Fixer. I have a soft deadline of December 21st, and I'm working harder than Lindsay Lohan's probation officer to make some magic happen.

In the few minutes I have to myself, I'm working on getting The Pea and LB up to Big Rock Candy Mountain. You may remember that we had the Barbie Dream House sold and a mountain house under contract until our con artist buyers decided to pull a fast one.

So how did I go from wanting to live out my remaining days in the BDH to trying to stake my claim in the Rockies? Well, I'm glad you asked...

After our trip to the cultural center of middle Florida last winter, we headed up to Indiana to spend a few days with my in-laws. We hadn't been back since we moved to New Zealand in 2007. The dying rural factory town we'd left behind had transformed itself into a 21st-century destination spot through the very hard work of some devoted civic-minded folks, including my in-laws.

We thought it would be a fantastic place to raise The Pea and a chance to reconnect with my husband's hometown roots. We came back to Denver excited about our new plans and began to get the BDH in selling shape. I was in near delirium about how much house we could buy given the town is located in the sticks of the Hoosier state, equidistant from Indianapolis, Cincinnati and Louisville. In other words, the middle of nowhere.

I had my heart set on this house in the historic district...

 Over 3000 square feet at just over $250K. Uh, yeah.

You just heard wheels screeching in your head, right? The Queen of all things Boho Contempo was desirous of a 1930s Colonial? Yep. I've always wanted to do up an uber-traditional house in bold colors and a global vibe. I was so sold on the place (never mind I'd only stalked it via Zillow) that I whipped up few dream boards for the living room, dining room and master bedroom...

(click to enlarge)

 (click to enlarge) 

(click to enlarge) 

The hitch in our plans was the job prospects there were nil given LB's education and experience, so we decided to stay in Denver. We were already half way to having the BDH ready to sell and so decided to try our luck. We set our sights on a mountain-top neighborhood just minutes from LB's work. While the real estate gods were not ultimately with us over the summer, we are still determined. Our kitchen and maybe a bath will be getting a remodel, and we'll try again in the spring.

Over the next few months, I'll share a couple of other mountain houses we came close to buying and update you on our progress with the Barbie Dream House. Today's step closer? A new stainless double oven that replaced a 1975 baking behemoth. Hanukkah cooking is going to be a pleasure!

To see pieces I plan to use in my (eventual) new house, follow my Pinterest board "On Big Rock Candy Mountain."

9 comments:

Glamour Drops said...

What a tumultuous turn of events. But then they do say that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Not sure about that, but at least you will bring your brilliant sense of humour along for the journey, which makes it ever so much better. Here's fingers crossed that the right buyer comes along in spring and pays you a mozza for the BDH.

Cathy Wall said...

Yup, lots going on over there at the BDH! Hang in there, change keeps you nimble and as my hubby says, (constantly) "it will all work out!"
Too bad the Mayberry gig did not pan out.

Keri said...

I can't wait to see it unfold!

Interior Design Musings said...

OK, I will start praying now for your sell this Spring. Sending good vibes your way. We sold our house about five years ago to move to our current place and I thought we would never get the deal done. First contract feel through and I was devastated. Then, (not sure how I managed to talk the hubs into it), we put a contract on the new house without selling the first one. YIKES. Bridge loan, the whole nine yards. Talk about some sleepless nights (and that was when the market was hot hot). Then, we got a contract and the week before we closed Katrina came through. We had tons of damage from it here in Birmingham, including a tree on the house under contract. The deal still went through,but it was rough. Soooo, I say all this to say I know how you feel. Can't wait to see all the renovations you are going to make - good material for the blog! Happy Holidays, Raina! M.

A Perfect Gray said...

those boards made my week.

this is gonna be fun for us all.

donna

Acanthus and Acorn said...

I would never picture you in a colonial- but this was such a fun read! House hunting is the ultimate B*tch or this time of year, I guess it's a bit of HOHOHO!

The Pink Pagoda said...

We bought a new house 4 years ago without selling our house and become landlords. Yikes, I wouldn't wish it on anyone! You will sell your house in the spring! In the meantime, I can't wait to see what you're contemplating!

Raina Cox said...

Glamour Drops - From your comment to God's ears.

Cathy Wall - Mayberry is a very apt descriptor.

Keri - You'll get to see it all first-hand!

Interior Design Musings - Jeez Louise! And I thought I'd been through the wringer. Happy Holidays to you as well, my friend!!

A Perfect Gray - Thanks, Donna!

Acanthus and Acorn - Yep, I'm full of surprises. ;)

The Pink Pagoda - You're brave. I would be terrified of tenants trashing my place. And by "trashing" I mean painting pops of color and using wall stickers.

kristina said...

oh girl. you sure know how to turn a frown upside down, or at least make your frustrations amusing for the rest of us. i'll be thinking of you in the weeks/months to come as you forge ahead in this adventure, waiting on the edge of my yoga-ball chair for the updates!

herpy herlerhdays!
kristina
wonderswillnevercease.blogspot.com