Recent Posts

Monday, December 24, 2012

On Big Rock Candy Mountain - Part II

 (click to enlarge any photo)

When we last left our adventures in real estate and relocation, LB and I had decided to stay in Denver after exploring a move back to our home state of Indiana. We set our sights on a mountain-top neighborhood a few quick minutes from LB's work. I fell hard for the first house I found on Big Rock Candy Mountain (above), never mind we were still a couple of months from listing ours. I stalked it every day online, heart racing each time I clicked the link fearing the diabolical phrase "Under contract" would pop up.

The day we hoisted our place on the market, we made a beeline up to The House. Wrapped with multiple levels of decks, it sat on the crest of Big Rock Candy across from a protected open space that serves as a super highway for elk, mule deer, bears and the occasional mountain lion. (All cats are indoor cats up mountain way.)


Guuurl, I know. That mauve carpet. I wasn't put off because the architecture was so incredible. Around these parts, this look is known as Mountain Contemporary...


Down a short flight of stairs from the entry was an enormous great room. The previous owner had used the far half (to the right, below) as a dining room, but we had planned to use the entire space for lounging and entertaining.


The double-sided fireplace backed to a spacious kitchen with more wood than nerd-filled midnight showing of The Hobbit.


I was in lurf with the original cabinets and had plans for soapstone counters and wide plank floors.


Some new cabinet hardware and lighting as well as 21st-century appliances would complete the update.


Upstairs overlooking the great room was a loft library. What you can't see is the wall of double-height bookcases with a library ladder (!!!).


My brain nearly melted at the thought of filling all those shelves with design books.


Next to the library was the master bedroom with an old-timey pseudo-Victorian bathroom that was the height of 1970s mountain decorating chic in its time. Also upstairs was a second bedroom with its own bath. (Am I the only person who thinks "en-suite" is a ridiculous descriptor?) The finished basement held a third bedroom and bath and a rec room/office.


But as delicious as the post and beam architecture was, it was the view off every deck of the house that sold us. Mt. Evans in all of its 14,265-foot glory...


And, of course, I had a play with a dream board or two. Here is what I was planning for the great room...


The House went into contract a week after ours hit the market. I nearly required an intervention of a pharmaceutical nature to get me through the trauma. A couple of months later, I drove by looking at another house in the area and saw the new owner outside directing a contractor. She was sporting frosted tips and a Chico's 3/4 sleeve knit top and capri pant ensemble. And I wept at the thought of the French country kitchen that was moments away from being installed.

To see pieces I plan to use in my (eventual) new house, follow my Pinterest board "On Big Rock Candy Mountain."

7 comments:

Nataliya said...

oh, I would have died! The house is truly beautiful.

wellfedfred said...

Oh.
The German word for compassion/empathy is Mitgefühl - feeing with. Appropriate here, I think.

Eliška Líznerová said...

Hned bych si objednala prožít své prázdniny u Vás. Jaká nádhera!! Gratuluji!

Margaret said...

From one Hoosier to another, let me say this: sorry you had a case of the mulligrubs, but every star know its place in the sky.

Part III TBD.

Brenda Murphy said...

Apparently, the stars have something else for you, and it will be better than you ever imagined.

Lausi said...

The architecture of this house is so beautiful!

I can't begin to imagine what an amzing place you would have turned this into with your incredible taste and talent for transformation.

The view up there is breath-taking.

Jessie said...

This house is gorgeous and has really great bones! Not to forget the amazing view!

I feel for you, I am sure something better will come along. Good luck!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com