Recent Posts

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Tired decorating trends mean jail time

The trend in question in Jackson's office.

Former U.S. Representative Jesse Jackson, Jr. pled guilty yesterday to misuse of campaign funds. It seems in early 2011, Jackson, possibly under the sway of a recent hipster decorating trend, paid $7000 for two elk heads to decorate his congressional office. He purchased the dead beasties with campaign cash, a big no-no.

Eighteen months later, probably realizing that taxidermy as an interiors statement had lost its heat, Jackson sold the pair of mounts at a $1700 loss - to an undercover FBI investigator posing as an interior designer.

Jackson faces up to 57 months in prison when he is sentenced on June 28th. But the shame of a passé trend anchoring the world's worst gallery wall will live with him forever.

11 comments:

brismod said...

Oh that is gold!

My Crafty Home Life said...

Funny, and true.

Interior Design Musings said...

That is so bad on so many levels! If he'd spent a little money on having someone to create a decent focal wall, he not have felt the need to sell them! Ha! M.

eddielicious said...

I live in Illinois. The news last night said we are building a new jail specifically to house all our corrupt politicians......He was re-elected by a landslide in November despite all these allegations. And here 3 months later taxpayers are burdened with a costly special election.

Anne At Large said...

I can't get past the "undercover FBI investigator posing as an interior designer" part of the story. I want to know more about that character, as well as possibly a television spinoff.

Margaret said...

"...The two lavished themselves with high-end purchases, including mink capes and fur coats, a $43,000 Rolex watch, $10,000 in children’s furniture and an array of pricey memorabilia from Michael Jackson, Bruce Lee and other celebrities."

Michael Jackson...oh, how could they???

David said...

I understand the Rolex, I love mine too. But capes? As in more than one cape? And MJ and Bruce Lee memorabilia? And animal heads? That's just insane.

I DO love that there was an FBI agent posing as an interior decorator. I think I might just love that job.

The Down East Dilettante said...

I'm sorry---I got stuck at 'undercover FBI investigator posing as an interior designer'. I'd love to have been privy to that one

J. Edgar, is that you?

The Down East Dilettante said...

I just saw that Anne left the nearly identical comment. Please, please can we invoke the Freedom of Information Act to get the tapes of that transaction posted on Youtube?


Jane Kilpatrick Schott said...

He should definitely do jail time for that interior! Thank gosh the Fashion Police found him...

Bromeliad said...

Oh you make me laugh.