Recent Posts

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

John Derian's pricey picnic fare

 Faience Slice charger, $16.50 each.

Not content with two rounds of Target plastic for the masses, the duke of decoupage John Derian is releasing his own collection of melamine dinnerware. The plates are based on images Derian found in a 19th-century book on faience from the 1700s. The shadows are a trompe l'oeil effect to give the flat plates depth. The collection is available for pre-order with a June delivery at Derian's website (scroll to bottom).

 Faience Fleurs Isolees dinner plate, $11.50 each. 

 Faience a la Corne salad plate, $9.50 each.
Faience Italo-Nivernais side plate, $8.75.

6 comments:

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I think they are pretty. I would love them for outdoor dishes although I have never understood the whole plastic outdoor dish thing. I am not extra careless outside.

5th and State said...

the first and last is ok, the rest meh.

i do love his furniture line however

Raina Cox said...

5th and State - Those are my faves, too.

jason said...

I think they're pretty. But I hate melamine plates.
I prefer china...or paper.

Petra Voegtle said...

Apart from being pretty I would never use them because of potential intoxication. Melamine is known for potentially causing cancer especially when used in combination with hot fluids etc. I have removed everything melamine from my kitchen long ago. Why should I take the risk outdoors then???

Annie Smith said...

These are kind of fabulous! The look of antiquity without all of the fragile!