Recent Posts

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Nate Berkus' new TV show

"Mmmm hmmm. Gurl, that deal is lu-cray-tive."

Elfin decorating cutie pie Nate Berkus has announced he will executive produce and host a design reality show on NBC to be called "Renovation Nation":

"[The] program will feature two teams traveling the nation and transforming homes in different cities. Berkus, who is set to host the [competition], will present the contestants with design and build challenges in each episode. Teams will be evaluated by Berkus and a crew of design experts, and the losing team in each episode will have to send a contestant home. Show culminates with a live finale where viewers vote to determine the winner."

Additionally, viewers will have a chance to purchase items featured in the home makeovers and win prizes:

"'Renovation Nation' also plans interactive elements, with [the audience] invited to virtually tour the renovated homes and purchase items featured in the episode — thereby offering opportunities for integrated sponsors. Weekly prizes will also be offered to viewers, including luxury household goods, home makeovers, and cash. During the finale, the ultimate prize will be doled out: two dream homes will be given away to two viewers."

An NBC exec was quoted as saying the network's goal is to "showcase incredibly diverse architecture, impeccable design and epic transformations unlike anything you’ve seen before." (Emphasis mine.)

NBC has ordered ten episodes and casting has started. No air date has been announced.

What say you, Dumplings? Do HGTV and Bravo have cause to be nervous? Will Nate have a bedazzled bullhorn?

NBC and Nate Berkus Team for 'Renovation Nation' [Variety]

19 comments:

Ann said...

I'm so excited to watch Nate in TV again, and I really love his design style.

Interior Design Musings said...

Epic Transformations? There's a house in Birmingham, AL they are welcome to. M.

Japanese Trash said...

Combining three of my favorite things: reality competition TV, interior design, and Nate Berkus -- it's like Christmas in March! Can't wait and I really hope NBC doesn't screw it up...

eddielicious said...

Is this going to be aired prime time? I don't know if I could watch a design show marketed to please mainstream viewers....That would be like clicking "view all pins" on you know what. Such as this beaut came up:
http://pinterest.com/pin/177610779026755435/

Lane said...

I hate these competition shows. It will be like everything we have ever seen.

margot said...

the show sounds like a train wreck and so out of sync with Nate's whole "Things That Matter" message. Makes me sad because he really won me over with that book...but now this idiocy. Again, sad.

Raina Cox said...

eddielicious - What bothers me most about that (and there's a lot of bothersome material there) is she rhymed "boys" with "cowboys."

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

This show could go either way. If it is too much like a high end "Trading Spaces", I think we are done with that. I'll have a wait and see attitude with this. NO, Bravo doesn't have to worry, yet.

David said...

It'll be nice to see Nate's handsome face, but I'm not hopeful about the show. "Epic transformations" just makes me think there's going to be lots of large furniture and enormous televisions.

Nate, if you're reading, my house needs a new kitchen and a new master suite. Come help us out and I'll thank you in a manner appropriate for whichever space you choose!

Raina Cox said...

David - Comment of the Day! (And I hope he takes you up on it.)

gmjl said...

I found out that Nate's mother was an interior designer on HGTV's Decorator Cents...Oh, and I'll help David out.

sanctuaryhome said...

I cringed as soon as I read your title. I think Nate is a talented and successful designer. I think he should stop trying to whore himself out into the mainstream. Target sheets, towels and tchotchkes - yes, being the next Ty Pennington - no. A great designer doesn't automatically equal a media mogul.

Annette said...

He's already crossed over into "the money means more to me now" camp whereby you get as much as you can so you can live a lifestyle that prevents you from having to live with the people who's money you are taking. And the masses are willing to play their part for some aspirational glory.

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Bravo isn't worried at all, because I'm pretty sure NBC is their parent company. I'll definitely give this one a shot. Can't be any worse than the talk show.

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

Nancy said...

He'll make the ratings shoot out of the sky..yes, he is adorable and I can't wait to see it. The other networks made a HUGE mistake not picking him up.
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Margaret said...

2 words: Nate Crate.

Carol in Denver said...

I'm all for more arts programming, and this should qualify. Sports coverage and depressing political news seem to hog the airwaves and newspaper.

Nate has great talent and seems to be a kind, good man -- tremendous appeal in those. I hope his show doesn't include the the ubiquitous artificial time crunches and made-up near disasters.

eddielicious said...

update: I keep seeing these trailers for a new reality type show titled "The Moment" hosted by ex NFL quarterback Kurt Warner. This manly man has had THE WORST plastic surgery/eye/face lift. So as long as Nate doesn't butcher his beautiful mug I should be able to watch.

Pigtown*Design said...

I saw Nate and Margaret Russell the other day and he was talking about the program. He said it would emphasize quality over quickness. He never seemed comfortable on his last show, although he was charming and funny. and if he was interested in something, it showed.