Recent Posts

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Pour out a G&T, Lilly Pulitzer has died

Image via Pinterest.

Lilly Pulitzer, the woman who created the WASP summer uniform, passed away yesterday at age 81 at her home in Palm Beach, Florida. Pulitzer earned her old money bona fides honestly. Her mother, Lillian Bostwick, was an heir to the Standard Oil fortune. In 1950, Lillian Lee McKim married Herbert Pulitzer, Jr., grandson of publisher Joseph Pulitzer. 

The couple owned citrus orchards in Florida, and in the late 1950s Lilly opened a juice stand for kicks. She whipped up a few brightly colored dresses to hide the juice stains. Childhood friend and then First Lady Jackie Kennedy purchased one and was photographed wearing it on vacation. An acid-colored industry was born.

The house Pulitzer lived in from the early 1980s with second husband Enrique Rousseau was listed in 2010 for $11.5 million. It is still on the market and, sadly, is being marketed as a scape for the land for $8.5 million.

Image via Lonny.

Image via OXKC blog.

Pulitzer and her daughters in the early 1960s at their Florida home.

8 comments:

gmjl said...

I wonder if the pallbearers will have to wear Lilly pants?

eddielicious said...

have you read the new biography of Lilly Pultizer? Book is a fascinating history of her priviledged childhood, philandering first husband and in depth detail into the Palm beach culture. She was an entrepreneur when wealthy women did not nor were expected to work. It was very interesting, especially the whole resurrection of the clothing line.

Raina Cox said...

eddielicious - I had no idea a book about her had been written. I will definitely check it out.

hush said...

RIP, Lilly! My WASP envy also makes me wish I had grown up wearing your shift dresses, so I'm forcing them upon my young daughter.

Pigtown*Design said...

I think that every blog will be doing a Lilly RIP! I just did one!

Joanna Wissinger said...

My mom and I had matching dresses!

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

My mom made many of my dresses and unfortunately, they didnt resemble Lilly's! I hope she had fun in her life!
Cheers!,
Barbara

The Down East Dilettante said...

I walked into the Lily Pulitzer shop in Northeast Harbor many decades ago, in my teens, and bought a pair of her Men's jeans, in orange, yellow, & pink. The only thing I proved was that I was thin enough, but not rich enough, to pull them off. Somewhere in the deeper recesses of my closet is a Lily tie still

Oh, the fashion mistakes we leave behind us as we trail through life...

But, that said, the Maine coast is a sea of Lily in the summer, some very vintage indeed, and it just looks right (except on me)