Recent Posts

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Nate Berkus uses the Plato's Closet for rich folks


Vaunte is the online members-only consignment shop for the wealthy (usually the nearly wealthy) and the famous (usually the nearly famous) who want to clean out their closets, make a little scratch and get a punch in their famewhore card. Founded by two former Gilt Groupe employees, the flash-sale site offers up the pre-loved selections of a daily "Starlet," usually a mid-tier magazine editor or the owner of an online boutique you've never heard of. Each has a feature-ette discussing their fabulousness accompanied by photos of the ladies making duckfaces and elbow poses like there's no tomorrow. The Vaunte people, who have a lot of "connects," take a 30%-40% commission and you get to say you own the old slingbacks of an "entrepreneurial investor."


Berkus' Vaunte offerings

Today marks the first time a man has been asked to contribute, and everybody's favorite design elf Nate Berkus was the Chosen One. Nater Bug found 136 items he could definitely live without and an awful lot of it looks like the fourth aisle in at HomeGoods. Maybe because he will soon be combining households, the Nate-inator is ready to get rid of even sentimental pieces: "There’s a set of vintage Louis Vuitton luggage that I went and brought with me to Africa that I took to the opening of Oprah’s school and actually used and loved, but I’m just paring down and ready to move on from them." 

Here's Circus Berkus showing off a few of the items he's selling while looking like a twink back-up dancer from a 1986 George Michael video:


11 comments:

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

All I really want to see is Nate making a duckface.

a18e8668-be93-11e2-a0c4-000bcdcb5194 said...

wow... 50 dollars for a Missoni for Target Scarf I think I paid 9.99 for on clearance....

Heather Moore Grahling | Vivid Hue Home said...

OMG I'm cracking up over your entire description of Vaunte and Nate's offerings for his 'yard sale' on the site. Cracked up when you described his items as the fourth aisle at Home Goods. Good stuff.

jason said...

uh.
I can't even with him.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure "Vaunte" is the name of one of twink back up dancers from a 1986 Madonna video.

A said...

My snore dome just activated.

Debra Phillips said...

damn i love you! a great roaring laugh this am!

what happened, i have asked myself, with nate, the once adored? was it that ghastly tv show? the declass marriage with target, home goods, hsn?
pixie breath?

Mallory High said...

I don't want to buy his stuff, but I'd like to know how he gets such great root lift on that hair.

An Urban Cottage said...

It looks to me like he's switched to Jeremiah's hairdresser.

David said...

I suppose a pair of boxers would be too much to hope for.

Lekalia Interiors said...

Just spewed my coffee on my computer laughing at this post! Dang you're funny!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

He has been reading too much of his press. Overexposed, crazy, and over marketed.