Recent Posts

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Today's (and tomorrow's) project

 One down, nine to go!

My last big project before listing the Barbie Dream House - putting grasscloth on the upper kitchen cabinets. Those of you Dumplings who have been with me for a while may remember my uppers were already covered in a 1974 vaguely tribal wonderpaper:

Like the lucite handles? (The walls below had the same paper.)

I priced having the 10 upper cabinet fronts replaced and it came in at the lower four digits. No thank you. New paper was definitely the cheaper way to go. I've hung wallpaper several times, but never grasscloth. It's hella hard to work with, but I'm using my clothing steamer to make the paper more pliable. I'll post an "after" in a few days.

10 comments:

Glamour Drops said...

ah, my sympathies....my wallpaper hangers groan whenever i get them to hang grasscloth...but then they stand back at the end and spend ages admiring their cleverness...it's gorgeous stuff...

Can imagine it will be amazing on the cupboards.

My Interior Life said...

Wow. I think your old cabinets were so trippy, but am loving the grasscloth. It is horrible to work with - I had the bright idea of covering my Parson's sofa/console table with it. It was a bitch, to put it nicely.

An Urban Cottage said...

What's under the wallpaper? Would it be any more work to get it off and paint them?

Raina Cox said...

An Urban Cottage - The base cabinets are painted and not the same door style. Trust me, I've run every possible design scenario in my mind. I find wallpapering to be pretty easy (if messy). It's just that the grasscloth is a temperamental beast.

Nancy said...

Good luck Raina, it is going to look awesome! You can do it!
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Jessie said...

Looking forward to see the makeover. I know it will look awesome when it's done!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Camilla said...

You have a clothes steamer.
I feel so inadequate..

A said...

Don't fog your eyeglasses, Clever Girl.

Annie Smith said...

Looking forward to the after pics! Hope you've been having good luck with it!

Emma Mercer said...

Good luck on the makeover. I hope it turns out exactly the way you want it. I'm sure it will look nice. I find grasscloth really nice but haven't tried using it and wallpapering myself though.

- FrenzInteriors.com