Recent Posts

Thursday, September 26, 2013

So I hung out with Jonathan Adler

Two Hebrews who share a love for all things fab.
(Dumplings, I know - I look like Godzilla next to him.)

And by "hung out" I mean I met Jonathan Adler last night and chatted for about three minutes. And by "chatted" I mean he was completely gracious and funny and I geeked out, barely able to form coherent sentences.

I had recently spent beaucoup bucks in the Denver store with a client, which garnered me an invite to last night's soiree cohosted by Reign magazine. My client had a prior commitment and couldn't join me, so I took her two horoscope pillows for Jonathan to sign.

Some woman cut in front of me in line and as the See You Next Tuesday exchanged pleasantries with His Fabulousness, I laid out the pillows with notes as to whose was whose. Then it was my turn. I stepped up and introduced myself. Jonathan threw his arms wide and exclaimed,"The BLOG!"

I proceeded to melt into a puddle of pure happiness, right there in front of him.

He said,"Give me a hug!!" and I did so with my mind silently screaming "I hope y'all are seeing this!" to everyone else in the jam-packed store.

We chatted - or at least I think we did because I was on another planet at that point - and he signed the pillows. He smiled and said,"Peace out," and I grinned like a dork and told him to enjoy Denver. 

What a lame ass thing to say to someone who's AWESOME to the power of infinity.

Peace out.

25 comments:

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Shut up!! I don't think I would have been able to form 2 sentences. How amazing that he knows your blog, but really no surprise. I would love to see what the pillows look like with his signature on them. Very cool.

PP@pimpmybricks.wordpress.com said...

Ha - you're good stuff, you are Raina.

Nancy {at} powellbrower at home said...

whoa, I am so jealous! How thrilling that he recognized you and the blog! See, now its ALL worth it! What a darling man and Im so happy for your "meetcute".
xo Nancy

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I do that with people that aren't even fabulous or famous. I am sure everyone else in the store saw and were like, "I have to find the BLOG so JA will love me too".

Acanthus and Acorn said...

I LOVE the picture and recap of you too! Life's real moments rarely go as planned so why should meeting Adler be any different!?
xo,
~R

Brenda Murphy said...

What a great story! Of course he knows your blog, anyone witty and into good design does:)

Cathy Wall said...

So he knew of this wonderful blog? I do believe you have arrived! And girl you look a.dor.a.ble!!!
I'll bet he DID enjoy Denver :)

Jessie said...

What a great encounter with Adler! And he reads your blog, too. Very cool!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Debra Phillips said...

of course he reads your blog, but to have him shout that out......a melting moment!

Jane Kilpatrick Schott said...

Isn't he just the best? Great photo Raina...

My Interior Life said...

Oh, so jealous! I'm not sure I would have said anything intelligible but I'm sure you managed something eloquent and he was none the wiser that you were dying inside. And the blog comment??? Dying! How awesome. Your year is made! I met Mary McDonald at a book signing at High Point and she complimented my bracelet. I was insufferable afterwards.

An Urban Cottage said...

I looked like Jonathan Adler when I bumped into Julia Child in the coyote urine aisle in a local sporting store...and I'm 6'1". (I couldn't make this shit up!)

I love your story!!! So fun!

home before dark said...

I think you both look adorable. Two real deals having a real deal good time.

David said...

I love this so much, and to find out that he's gracious and a nice guy makes it all the better.

And they all heard when he demanded a hug. Your street cred just went up a notch!

jason said...

OMG....I so love him!

Keri said...

Very cool!

Chedva said...

He had the very same effect on me. You look great! x

Raina Cox said...

Chedva - Thanks, Sweetie!

Camilla said...

High five girlie friend!

wellfedfred said...

Oh it's so lovely to meet people you've admired and find out you like them.

Katharine @ SouthernBourbonMountains said...

This is exactly what I would do if I met YOU!!!!!!!!!! LOVE your jacket/sweater and necklace! You look wonderful!!!

Mar gar et said...

Because of this, we anticipate even bigger PDAs from you in the future.

Kimberly Lemmon said...

Sounds like a mutual admiration situation. How exciting!

Annie Smith said...

Still wondering how you're going to frame the pillows? :)

K gorgeous lady, I bet he was like "oh my gawd-it's Raina from the famous lampshade blog...I hope my hair looks okay..."!!

You rock!

SHERRY HART said...

I get completely star stuck and retreat. I am sure you were delightful and witty...lucky you.