Recent Posts

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Baby steps on Big Rock Candy


Dumplings, most of the new furniture ordered for Big Rock Candy has arrived, and a big chunk of it was put in winter storage yesterday. (Isn't that the saddest part of fall?) The back deck pieces have been wrapped, bagged and lovingly stuffed into the outdoor storage closet, all set for a long style hibernation. We were only able to enjoy the sofa for three weeks. Poops.


I gave the flokati chair from Anthropologie a little pop of sparkle with a Berber textile pillow from The Loaded Trunk. Luh-hord! Isn't that wall-to-wall the worst?! It will be replaced eventually, when we remodel the kitchen. Open floor plans make for very expensive flooring switches.


The Fes chairs, also from Anthro, have a long, complicated story of warehouse goofs. I ordered a left and a right so they would mirror but instead wound up with two of the same. The supposed replacement arrived today but was again the same pattern layout, so we're giving this one more try. Even designers aren't immune from order and delivery cock-ups.


I had a hard time looking at this crap chandie every time I sat down for a meal, so it was one of the first items replaced. ('Scuse the just-moved-in mess.)


Ah, that's better. The new fixture was a steal and makes much more sense with the house. We also replaced our old IKEA dining chairs. They had more scratches than a Def Jam reunion. The host chairs are real Tolix, and the sides are faux-lixes. The shade is called "Powder Blue," and online looked to be closer to Haint. Color me surprised when I received Turquoise with a capital "T." The hue is in the vintage dhurrie underneath, so I just rolled with it.

The living room sofa with a 4-week lead time is to be delivered tomorrow, 10 weeks after my credit card was charged. Mmm hmmm. If that arrives in good shape, I'll post another snap of the room with all of its pieces in place.

17 comments:

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I want to jump up and down like the Price is Right for you. That is some lovely stuff.
I also have an open plan and the flooring ain't going anywhere soon, *sigh*.

wellfedfred said...

more, more, more!

loving the floating chair, that was unexpected.

Cathy Wall said...

Love it all Raina! Hope that the third time is a charm in getting the pattern correct on your Fes chairs.... fingers crossed!

DaniBP said...

I am loving the light fixture improvement, well I love the whole thing and those chairs with the dhurrie, how perfect, good rolling with it.

Keri said...

More more more!!! I'm so excited for you Raina, great job!

An Urban Cottage said...

I adore the Fes chairs.

I could never imagine a place that light fixture would look good but it's somehow perfect there. Great choice.

Kimberly Lemmon said...

Fabulous choices, all!

jason said...

I'm loving that lighting fixture!

Barb said...

SAME EXACT THING happened to me with those "powder blue" (code for turquoise) faux-lix chairs! I had waited ages for them, blahblahblah, so I kept them as well. When I received them I actually thought they had sent me the wrong ones. ANNOYING!!

Raina Cox said...

An Urban Cottage - Ha! And thank you, Steve.

Barb - How hard would it be to change the name on the website to "Turquoise"?

Nancy {at} powellbrower at home said...

So exciting! I would love a new home to play with. Your chairs are fabulous, and love the new light. Your rug is awesome. Have fun and hope you can bring your outdoor furniture out early next spring!
xo Nancy

Brenda Murphy said...

You make this plebe feel much better knowing that screw ups happen to the best. Looks great, love Anthro selections.

My Interior Life said...

Mess-ups are the worst, but your room looks no worse for wear. That chandie would have hurt my eyes too. Good call on the new one. Anthro does have some great furniture. Can't wait to see your new sofa!

The Pink Pagoda said...

Whoa. Everything looks fantastic, Raina. LOVE the dhurrie!!

Sharon Brown said...

I splurged just after we moved to the UK and bought 6 for real Tolix chairs - the coated aluminum ones so I can use them indoors or out. We've used them as dining chairs. I must say they have been the BEST purchase. 2 pluses about the chairs I never realized has been how great they are for kids - spills, markers, etc no problem and how great they stack when you need them out of the way.

Thanks for sharing your purchases. Keep showing us your photos!

Jessie said...

Love your fabulous new chairs! I think the powder blue/ light blue would work better (more contrast) but the turquoise works as well! I like your dhurrie rug as well. Can' wait to see your new sofa! Great purchases!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Lausi said...

Gorgeous Fes Chairs! I hope they get it right with the third delivery then :)
Love the replacement lamp for the "ugly chandelier" :)

You're a true genius, it's so much fun "watching you" transform this place and giving it your own "signature"