Recent Posts

Thursday, December 19, 2013

GE Artistry series - yes or no?


During yesterday's quick run to Home Depot for picture hangers, an end cap near the checkout stopped me in my tracks. It contained three appliances in GE's new Artistry series. I was shocked at how Smeg-y the fridge looked and that such radical new silhouettes are being introduced at the lower end of the market. 


A video featuring the series' adorably schlubby designer describes how these appliances are meant for the first-time homeowner to replace outdated pieces that may have come with a house. The only two colors available are black and white, but aren't we at the point where the lower-priced stainless finish pieces from 10 years ago are starting to conk out, too? Or is this the death knell for stainless?

As ready as I am for something fresh in terms of finish, I can't imagine owning a kitchen full of black or white appliances. Stainless is the only choice that makes sense with the mod lodge look we're going for.

The designer also talks about moving from digital to analog controls. The look is both retro and forward-looking at the same time. The stove borrows heavily from Viking's analog Professional Product line:

Dumplings, what are your thoughts on this series? Are you intrigued? Would you buy it?

14 comments:

DaniBP said...

I'll look at it! I have to buy new appliances after Christmas, well a fridge to start, and I'm going for white.
Thanks for the tip Raina!

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I am intrigued but not in love. I would like to see something a bit more thought out. They remind me of the jeans I had in 8th grade, like Jordache but not Jordache. Know what I mean?

Kristen said...

for some reason, i wish the handles weren't curved, but i appreciate the new look...i could see them in a modern, wooden cabinet kitchen, maybe? to retro it up a little...

priscilla said...

I'm planning on buying them in white when I redo my tiny kitchen. I've done the big kitchen with professional looking stainless and now I want quaint. The analog clock sold me. I only buy cars with those too.

An Urban Cottage said...

I think they'd be cute in a '50s ranch but other than that, the styling is too specific. I wish they'd put a different handle on it; it would make it more versatile.

maison21 said...

i LOVE that finally we are getting options in both design and finish in appliances made for the american market. i think there is room for more in the marketplace too!

Terri Polick said...

I'm intrigued, but to be honest, the appliances look
like cheap 1950s knockoff.

David said...

I like them, the fridge especially. That range needs a gas option though. Our new house has a flat top electric and I couldn't hate it more.

home before dark said...

I'm not buying it. I like appliances that are less design forward and more feature laden. I think the handles would make permanent bruises on some of my body parts. Having said that I'm putting Whirpool's Gladiator fridge in my baking kitchen area...and it's on wheels! I love wheels.

Linenqueen said...

Having just finished purchasing a kitchen full of new appliances I feel ready to comment on this matter. I am an old dog, 78 to be exact, and I decided I would ignore price and buy whatever I want. And I did. What a disappointment. I got a French door frig with the freezer drawer on the bottom. You have to push the French doors shut, they don't close tight on their own. The freezer drawer is good though. The stove has an iron grill that has such wide cross arms that a small pot drops through. I wish I had known about these drawbacks before spending thousands. Too many bells and whistles and not enough serviceability. Ann

Jessica said...

I'm really digging that white fridge! It would look really cute in my kitchen.

jason said...

Maybe in another color
The black makes me think of that monolith thing in 2001

a bit of earth said...

I like that they are supposedly thinking of peeps who are just starting out in older homes. Also, you called us "Dumplings" and I had to respond because this is adorable - I'm sorry, what was the question?

Robin said...

I have a tiny, tiny, tiny galley kitchen, with really high-quality-but-1980-oak cabinets that it would be a sin to throw away. I am planning on painting them high-gloss black and have been thinking that black appliances would be the best way to keep a clean line in such a tiny space (the kitchen is barely 10 feet long). I really like these and am so glad you pointed them out!