Recent Posts

Monday, December 9, 2013

On Big Rock Candy Mountain - living room progress


All of the furniture for the living room is finally in, Dumplings! I'd love to show you around, but first let me say the wall-to-wall carpeting is not permanent. It will be replaced by wood flooring when we reno the adjacent kitchen.


The West Elm Petersen sofa took forever and a damned day to get here, and then it ended up that the end cushions are actually two extra middle back cushions (they have zippers and nothing to zip to). WE was such a pain in the tuchis to deal with just getting the sofa here, that I decided to call it done.


No such problems with the Zaha chair from Jayson Home. They were, as always, a delight to work with. This is such a Dude Chair - every man who visits makes a beeline to try it out.


The story of how I finally received the mirrored Fes chairs from Anthro is too long and aggravating to recount, but the lovely team at the local Cherry Creek store worked it all out. Bless their yarn-bombed hearts. The table in between is actually Anthro's tall Granary plant stand. The white Berber-ish pillow is from Urban Outfitters (NLA), and the floor lamp is IKEA's Tisdag.


Behind the sofa sits Room & Board's Slim media console in Natural Steel which I'm using as a bookshelf. Atop it is West Elm's Lubna Chowdhary tiled table lamp (NLA) and that lovely new Aerin candle.


In the far corner of the room is a big ole fab planter awaiting a tree. Dumplings, any suggestions on something wondermous that won't poison pets?


On the sofa are Replaceface's Bill Murray pillow and Anthropologie's Amalia Stripes pillow (NLA).


Looking back towards the entry are a locally-sourced burl root table and Anthro's Flokati Garvey chair with a Berber pillow from The Loaded Trunk. To the left is Crate & Barrel's Sadie drink table. In the niche to the left of the stairs is Pottery Barn's Clyde bar cabinet in Heritage Black.


At one end of the sofa is Jonathan Adler's Ulu convex brass side table. On it is a nearly burned through Anthro candle I can't bear to part with and Kim Seybert's beaded leopard coasters that I used to carry in my home store. Those crazy things retailed for $25 a piece in the late 1990s (no wonder I never sold them).

 (click to enlarge)

Last week, I finished painting the fireplace bricks white. It was a job and a half because the mortar reveal is so deep. One poor paintbrush gave its life so that beauty may flourish.


Here you get a sense of the room's architecture, above is the loft where I have my office. On the mantel I have a small sculpture made by a friend, Nate Berkus' Hexagon tray, a 1950s toy buffalo, a photo of The Pea when Hers was tiny, the first drawing she ever did of LB, and a bust of her commissioned from a family friend. The walnut figure below was carved by my father-in-law.

The "before" photo from the real estate listing. *shudders*

The Little House on the Prairie fireplace will be replaced by a gas insert some time in the future. Just removing the brass trim was a big improvement. Also still left to do are new window treatments (those honeycomb shades are gross with a capital AWFUL) and a very large area rug, both of which will happen when wood floors (eventually) arrive. The seafoam posts and beams will get a coat of charcoal. And next weekend we will be hanging barn doors for the entry closet. Stay tuned!

23 comments:

Coulda shoulda woulda said...

I adore you living room! It seems like a fabulous space with the outside showing through. The furniture placement is lovely but then again it is your house!

The Pink Pagoda said...

Wow, everything you've done here is fantastic! So very well pulled together -- I'll be back to take in more -- it's one of those rooms you should revisit! I know you must be so happy with the results, Raina!

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I love all of the texture and variety in the room. Of course, I expected nothing less than quirky, earthy modern from you. My eyes thank you for painting the brick. Very nice!

Sharyn said...

Um... WOW. I totally dig your style. Fabulous job!

Jessie said...

Your living room totally rocks! I really love the modern, earthy eclectic vibe. The pieces you picked work so well with the architecture of your home. Well done, Raina. I can't wait to see the rest of your home.

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

The Down East Dilettante said...

May I say (remembering the listing photos well)wow?

WOW!

Debra Phillips said...

killer

esp. loved hearing that the sea foam is going, i thought, hmmm...... charcoal will be brilliant along with your selections, as will the wooden floors. oh and the painted f/p is great

my friend in atlanta first made the sling chairs, guess who copied, my friends here in chicago. she has even done them with cow skins with the hair still on and old kilim rugs to great effect.

you have such style my friend!

Mar gar et said...

Nice, really nice! I'll call West Elem for ya'. I'm in that kind of mood.

Michele from Boston said...

Things are really looking wonderful so far!

ajt said...

This is just fantastic. Really well done. Cozy and thoughtful. Perfect for the space. Huzzah, Raina. Can't wait for the next update.

Madam Pince said...

Love love love!!!

An Urban Cottage said...

I love every last thing. And I think it's cool that you're putting together such a fresh and stylish space using things that are available to common people like me. Even the sea foam looks better. I'm impressed.

Matters of Style said...

Looks awesome!!!

gmjl said...

Looks great....I love the painted brick. The sling chair is a great idea - I can see it being used in "play rooms" by the more discerning leather queens.

Nancy {at} powellbrower at home said...

Dang, youre killing me!! I love that Jayson Home chair more than life itself. Your Anthro chairs are awesome. Everything looks phenomenal Raina- so proud of your fab style! Hardwoods will look awesome. Happy holidays sweetie! xo Nancy

A Perfect Gray said...

you never, ever dissapoint. bill murray is so happy there.

Leslie at Lekalia Interiors said...

So here's what I love -- the large windows and the view of those trees covered in snow -- your sly sense of humor with that Bill Murray pillow (who doesn't love him!), the organic coffee table mixed in with all those straight lines -- the treasures on the mantle.....
Kudos girl!

David said...

It's so good, just like I knew it would be!

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

i cant believe you got the zaha chair from jayson. im dying. dyyyyyyyyyyyyyying. its more beautiful in a setting than it is in a bleek online pic. i love this room. a tad ironic (bill murray) and perfect.

Bethany Chase said...

Ray! It is SPECK-tacular!!! OMG! Absolutely wonderful.

love,
Jealous in Brooklyn

jason said...

Handsome !

ChrisToronto said...

nice mix and match. natch.

Robin said...

What a gorgeous and inviting room, well done as usual Miz Raina!