Recent Posts

Friday, January 10, 2014

On Big Rock Candy Mountain - entry before and after


Dumplings, the barn doors are up and the entry is painted! LB spent two and a half days planing, canting and cussing. The 35-year-old posts and beams had twisted some in the dry Colorado climate, making the installation anything but easy. 

The company we bought the barn doors from claims they are simple for the DIY-er. Uh, no. LB has a PhD in engineering and was struggling with the schematics and lack of instructions. Their hardware didn't work as described, so he had to do some re-engineering. I'm not going to share the door company's name because I don't want any Dumplings making the same purchasing mistake we did. But enough about that, onto the terribly disheartening "before"...


The former owners were big into a 1980s Southwest palette (I have sooooo much painting ahead of me) and early Americana. What you can't see is the antique spinning wheel that sat in the tall niche above the closet - you're welcome. They removed the closet doors and installed "country" hooks. Functional only if you own six coats. Pea has twice that number. LB and I installed a closet system with a center shelf tower and three rods. Organization does a body good.


For the posts and beams, I ended up using Benjamin Moore's "Black Horizon." It's the next color lighter than my original choice of "Ebony King" which went too dead at night.


In the photo above, "Ebony King" is the third sample down and "Black Horizon" is the fourth.


For the walls, I used my trusty standby neutral, BM's "Navajo White," the same color I painted the fireplace bricks. The entry seating is West Elm's John Vogel bench and the rug is Pottery Barn's Rana (!!!) kilim runner, both of which are no longer available. 

I'm still searching out lighting for the entry. LB doesn't want anything with "candles," which pretty much leaves Edison bulb fixtures. And the energy inefficiency of those makes him nuts. This is what I'm currently dealing with...


What kind of Beetlejuice nonsense is that?!?

20 comments:

Interior Design Musings said...

A complete and total WOW. From this one after picture, I can tell you have a vision for that house! More, more - we want to see more! M.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I am just dying over those barn doors. So sorry to hear that they were not diy friendly. It does look amazing, so hopefully the installation pain will pass. I bet if you put that fixture on CL you will find a buyer.

My Interior Life said...

That Beetlejuice comment killed me. Such a great description! Your after looks amazing. Job extremely well-done! And as Mandi wrote, more, more - we need to see more (no pressure)!

An Urban Cottage said...

Really nice! Such a huge improvement.

Jessica said...

I love the almost black trim. My husband and I "discuss" light bulbs every weekend. We don't exactly see eye to eye.

Madam Pince said...

Raina, when are you coming to Virginia to save my shack?!?

Raina Cox said...

Madam Pince - I've never been to Virginia. I hear it's beyond beautiful. I need to go.

The Down East Dilettante said...

You just had to show me up, didn't you? I just finished putting up a dozen hooks in the broom closet and hanging all the brooms and scary swifter thingies. I felt like Martha Friggin' Stewart, and then you come along, with a whole new closet system, sexy doors and a sleek foyer.

maison21 said...

NICE!

and EEK! that chandelier.

KP said...

I read this post...twice, looking for information, not about the barn doors(fabulous) but about that single door on the right side of all the photos....it stays? It goes? Fill me in, please?

Raina Cox said...

KP - It stays. If I get incredibly motivated sometime in the future, I'll strip and stain it. But for now it is what it is.

A Perfect Gray said...

you have an amazing eye for what a space needs.

gmjl said...

a wagon wheel or deer antler chandelier would be lovely...

Robin said...

Beautiful (of course!) but I am shocked - SHOCKED - that you did not keep the moose key ring holder by the door! ;-)

Kimberly Lemmon said...

Looking great up in there! High fives!!!

Jessie said...

Love the transformation! Sorry to hear about the barn door installation but it looks great. Looking forward to see more.

Happy New Year, Raina!

Jessie

Kristen said...

WOW to the door. it looks great in there.

Nancy {at} powellbrower at home said...

Absolutely love the barn doors and the black... Way to go style star! Awesome. That chandelier needs to be amazing, a statement. Keep us posted! xo Nancy

SHERRY HART said...

Snap…..totally in love….I want some barn doors.

Cathy Wall said...

LB gets a gold star for the installation of those awesome barn doors! Love the look you pulled off in there, go girl!