Recent Posts

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Six Pier 1 items that don't suck

 Corinne dining chair, $249.95.

Three years ago, I wrote a couple of posts (here and here) that were to be the start of a regular series. But the best laid plans of snark and decorating often go awry. Then a few weeks back I was on an Anthropologie forum when a question came up as to where to find Anthro-looking home items at a much lower price. I was having a good chuckle at women who are willing to pay $329 for shredded jeans but who thought shelling out $998 for a really fab accent chair was akin to a wallet hijacking. One commenter even suggested Pier 1 Imports because they totes look JUST LIKE Anthro at a fraction of the cost.

While I have my fun with Anthropologie, it's actually one of the first places I head for unique, well-made home furnishings. As opposed to Pier 1, which is one of the last places I'd seek out. Pier 1 is where your insurance agent's admin shops when she's given a $150 budget to redecorate the office bathroom. It's a world bazaar as imagined by people who have never actually left the U.S.

While masturbating scrolling through Pinterest last night, I stumbled across the dining chair above and thought "Hold up - That's Pier 1?!?" Perhaps, the Chico's of home decor has undergone a creative renaissance. Maybe the font of all things Shabby Tuscan was reinventing itself and leaving the goofiness behind. Yeah, no.

But what I did find was a handful of pieces, reasonably-priced and well-designed. And they just might pass for Anthro if you've had a drink or four from your Colorful Daisy Painted Goblet.

 Artisanal Geometric Patch pillow, $39.95.

Target could probably do this for 25% less, but this is 100 times better than Pier 1's regular cracked-out suzani fare.

Sora dining table, $499.95.

Blogger-approved Tolix legs and a medium wood finish. It's the perfect starter kitchen table or budget desk.

Denim Ogee rug, $329.95-$649.95.

If you're ready to toss the chevron rug, here's a pretty replacement with an on-trend strié happening.

 Hudson marble cheese board, $49.95.

If you told me this was Crate & Barrel, I wouldn't bat an eye.

Sunset lamp, $99.

This is the one piece that comes closest to something you'd find balanced atop a $4500 vintage French "found" washstand at Anthropologie. Of course, the twee cardstock hangtag hand-tied with artisanal butcher string would read $499.

6 comments:

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

Nice. Years ago (more than I'd care to say) Pier 1 was full of fun and funky things that did not look like they were dreamt up by a very high designer for the magic gypsy market. I haven't been to one in years. I think it started with that weird wild animals in every vignette thing they did about 5 years ago.

ita darling. said...

ooh do World Market next!

LMoore said...

Love the lamp!

jason said...

I kinda like that table, though I've never seen it in the store.
Sadly, Pier One is aspirational for someone on a poor schoolteacher's salary like me. :(

Raina Cox said...

jason - Any vintage table you'd find would be 100 times better.

Marcheline said...

I'm currently in the throes of a DIY bedroom makeover. And I still can't figure out what makes a cheesy, plain upholstered chair with legs you have to screw on yourself worth over $200. Just - no. Same goes for the pressboard chest of drawers. Can't find one for less than $400. What gives? For that money, I want solid wood construction! To the tag sales I go...